k-tuples

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7 8:13 AM
      Have the k-tuples web page back up
      http://www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html

      Lost server link -- main page is back up
      and will reload individual pages this weekend.

      Tom
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2005
        Concerning the Hardy-Littlewood conjecture,
        pi(x+y)-pi(x)<=pi(y).

        latest find
        pi(x+3243)-pi(x) = 457 = pi(3243) [0]

        also, large grouping of -1's around 3429

        past finds
        pi(x+4323)-pi(x) = 590 = pi(4323) [0]
        pi(x+4327)-pi(x) = 591 = pi(4327) [0]

        and true crossover at
        pi(x+4333)-pi(x) = 592 > pi(4333) [+1]

        Tom
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 9, 2005
          New lower bound for crossover of
          pi(x+y)-pi(x)<=pi(y) violation

          If y=3243 the interval pi(x+3243)-pi(x)
          can contain 458 primes while pi(3243)=457

          Old record was y=4333 with 592 primes.

          Also, many new near misses.

          Will generate the modulii and update web pages tonight.

          Web page will be at

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 9, 2005
            Couldn't contain myself.
            Web pages have been updated.

          • mikeoakes2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 14, 2005
              In a message dated 10/01/2005 03:43:02 GMT Standard Time, tom@...
              writes:

              Concerning the Hardy-Littlewood conjecture,
              pi(x+y)-pi(x)<=pi(y).

              latest find
              pi(x+3243)-pi(x) = 457 = pi(3243) [0]

              also, large grouping of -1's around 3429

              past finds
              pi(x+4323)-pi(x) = 590 = pi(4323) [0]
              pi(x+4327)-pi(x) = 591 = pi(4327) [0]

              and true crossover at
              pi(x+4333)-pi(x) = 592 > pi(4333) [+1]

              Tom,

              I notice that your splendid page
              _http://www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html_
              (http://www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html)
              says that you have obtained _exhaustive_ results on w(k) for k <= 305.
              That is impressive!

              My question is:-
              what is the algorithm you use? (if it's not secret:-)

              In particular, is it recursive?

              I have spent a while trying to program such a provably exhaustive
              enumeration of all admissible tuples, but without success: my 1 Gb of memory is (like
              Fermat's margin) too narrow.

              -Mike Oakes

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 20, 2005
                The landscape has changed.
                http://www.opertech.com/primes/kpiwchart.html

                While testing the 458-tuple for other variations,
                the program kicked out a 460-tuple of the same size.
                Spent some time rechecking program, and tested the
                460-tuples and they are valid.

                so pi(x+3243)-pi(x) could equal 460 while pi(3243)=457

                This was not only a crossover but a major crossover of +3.

                Looked back through listings and checking has a new upper
                bound of 3159 with 447 primes.

                Tom
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Anybody up to checking some calculations??
                  Sure would be appreciated.

                  See http://www.opertech.com/primes/residues.html
                  in particular the value of C2 (think it is a little large)

                  Tom
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 16, 2006
                    On the k-tuples, have just finished an update of the permissible
                    patterns site www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html
                    At the site the trophies (contradiction patterns/super dense
                    constellations) are listed up to packing 100 additional primes in an
                    interval. In fact 17 additional prime can be packed in an interval of
                    length of just 8509 integers.
                    The chart at www.opertech.com/primes/kpiwchart.html shows the crossover
                    (s) and the growth.
                    It is estimated that all intervals of more than 5980 integers can
                    demonstrate a super-dense condition.

                    Enjoy
                    Thomas J Engelsma
                  • 逢绥 刘
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 16, 2006
                      Dear Tom, Thank you very much for your crackajack work.
                      About your “An admissible k-tuple of 447 primes can be created in an interval of 3159 integers,
                      while p(3159) = 446.”,
                      can I realize:
                      An admissible 447-tuple has been created in an interval of 3159 integers, while p(3159) = 446?
                      It is not:
                      An admissible prime 447-tuple has been created in an interval of 3159 integers,while p(3159) = 446.
                      Where we call a k-tuple is admissible, if it does not cover all congruence classes modulo any
                      prime p, we call the k-tuple a prime k-tuple when all of its components are primes by Daniel M. Gordon and Gene Rodemich.
                      So that: if the original k-tuple conjecture is true, then Hardy-Littlewood conjecture
                      p(x+y) - p(x) <= p (y)
                      is fails with a value of y = 3159.
                      In my paper I try prove that admissible prime k-tuples are infinite rather then admissible k-tuples will infinitely often be simultaneously primes. The original k-tuple conjecture may not true, example the prime of the form n^2-1.
                      Could you read my paper please and we will discuss some interesting problem.
                      Fengsui Liu.

                      Tom <tom@...> 写道: On the k-tuples, have just finished an update of the permissible
                      patterns site www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html
                      At the site the trophies (contradiction patterns/super dense
                      constellations) are listed up to packing 100 additional primes in an
                      interval. In fact 17 additional prime can be packed in an interval of
                      length of just 8509 integers.
                      The chart at www.opertech.com/primes/kpiwchart.html shows the crossover
                      (s) and the growth.
                      It is estimated that all intervals of more than 5980 integers can
                      demonstrate a super-dense condition.

                      Enjoy
                      Thomas J Engelsma

                      Mathematics education Mathematics and computer science Number theory

                      ---------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 17, 2006
                        From: "Tom" <tom@...>

                        > On the k-tuples, have just finished an update of the permissible
                        > patterns site www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html
                        > At the site the trophies (contradiction patterns/super dense
                        > constellations) are listed up to packing 100 additional primes in an
                        > interval. In fact 17 additional prime can be packed in an interval of
                        > length of just 8509 integers.

                        Wonderful work, Tom. One I wish I'd been part of!

                        > The chart at www.opertech.com/primes/kpiwchart.html shows the crossover
                        > (s) and the growth.
                        > It is estimated that all intervals of more than 5980 integers can
                        > demonstrate a super-dense condition.
                        >
                        > Enjoy

                        I absolutely will!

                        I of course blindly accept the "possible therefore happens" approach in such
                        'linear' matters (i.e. this does not in any way apply to pseudoprime existance
                        questions). It's just a shame that there will probably never be any possibilty
                        of the human race actually finding such a tuple. I don't know if QC can reduce
                        the problem to a triviality, but I don't have much faith in QC either!

                        Are you still pushing the green zone to the right, or has your program hit an
                        architectural brick wall now?

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 17, 2006
                          Are you still pushing the green zone to the right, or has your
                          program hit an architectural brick wall now?

                          Phil,
                          On the chart, the green zone is from exhautive searching, and cannot
                          (will not) be improved. The assembler program I wrote had a ceiling
                          of 2047. When I move to a 64-bit machine I intend to run the
                          exhaustive search some more. My initial calculations say I should be
                          able to run up to 2250 before I get exponentially stopped.
                          The red zone is in constant change above 3900, some lucky finds
                          below that. The updates page
                          http://www.opertech.com/primes/updates.html shows the changes.
                          These changes are in the 2047 to 8509 range.

                          The trophy case www.opertech.com/primes/trophycase.html shows
                          the first instance currently known for each additional prime. And
                          you can see the widths are being improved.

                          Fengsui Liu,
                          The work I have done is to find permissible patterns of primes not
                          the primes themselves.

                          Thank-you for the interest.
                          Thomas J Engelsma