RE: factorization

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2004
      Before I even think about starting the factorization, I want to
      know much more about the number.

      In particular, I want to know:

      The numerical value (of course).

      Why this particular number needs to be factored.

      What the research interest is in this number.

      Whether you will agree to the details of the computation
      being made public.

      An email contact address at a reputable institution.
      You said you worked for a university. Which one?

      A clear and unambiguous statement that a factorization
      will not be used to circumvent a security measure
      protecting something for which you do not already
      have legitimate access.

      Forgive my suspicion, but it should be straightforward for
      you to evaluate the security of your scheme based on already
      published information on the difficulty of factoring 512-bit
      integers. A Google search on my name should reveal that I
      played a role in both of the first two 512-bit factorizations.

      Cc:ed to the list because I want all this to be seen to be
      fair and above board.

      Paul