What's my line?

  • Chris Caldwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2004
      Question one:

      For some odd reason I decided to put together a talk on prime numbers and
      lines, and use that to give a rough history of prime numbers. I thought I start
      with Euclid's proof of the infinitude of primes; then we can graph the
      log of p# (p primorial) and notice it is a line (the pnt); Dirichlet's theorem
      is a statement about prime on lines. The log of the digits in the largest
      known prime by year is basically linear. Riemann's hypothesis is that
      the non-trivial zeros lie on a line. log(Mersenne primes exponent) is
      basically a line. Any other ideas for good lines in the primes?

      Question two (off subject):

      Some years ago I read a great article debunking many of the common
      beliefs about the golden rectangle. It had a picture showing the
      Parthenon is not based on the golden ratio. It had a set of rectangles the author
      had shown folks to have them vote on the best looking (the golden
      rectangle did not win). It had a picture (I think) of a hand
      placed on a golden rectangle. Anyone have any idea what I may be recalling?

      Chris Caldwell
    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2004
        Chris: good idea.

        If you don't mind having more than one line in a plot, I strongly recommend the Ulam spiral.

        Paul

      • Sren Nielsen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
          Well, then read my primespiral.pdf first. It is in files.

          Paul Leyland <pleyland@...> wrote:Chris: good idea.