Re: [PrimeNumbers] 100000 pupils verify 2^9689-1

  • Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:16 PM [GMT+1=CET],
      Jens Kruse Andersen <jens.k.a@...> escribió:

      > 2^9689-1 is prime!
      >
      > This was first "proved" by computer in 1963. There has been
      > controvercy since the 4 color theorem was allegedly proved with use
      > of a computer. Many mathematicians still refuse to accept computer
      > proofs. To their satisfaction, 2^9689-1 is now the largest prime
      > which has been verified manually. It has not been verified whether it
      > is the 21st Mersenne prime.
      >
      > The computation was performed by 100000 pupils in Danish schools and
      > completed today.

      Do danish turn fool today?

      Best regards,

      Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro
      A Coruña (España)
      ilarrosa@...
    • Jens Kruse Andersen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        Jud McCranie wrote:
        > At 05:16 AM 4/1/2004, Jens Kruse Andersen wrote:
        > >2^9689-1 is prime!
        > >
        > >This was first "proved" by computer in 1963. There has been controvercy since
        > >the 4 color theorem was allegedly proved with use of a computer. Many
        > >mathematicians still refuse to accept computer proofs.

        > I'd rather trust a computer instead of 100,000 students doing it
        > manually... Quite a feat though.

        And who should rather be trusted on April 1? ;-)

        Has anybody made a program which deliberately gave a bogus result on April 1?
        A mean example would be GIMPS' prime95 report a prime on tests completing that
        day.

        --
        Jens Kruse Andersen