Upgraded LLR program

  • Jean Penné
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
      Hi, All !

      The new LLR has arrived !

      It uses Irrational Base Discrete Weighted Transforms to square and multiply=
      modulo k*2^n-1.
      I succeeded to update C init. code and Normalization Assembler code in the =
      sources of the
      George Woltman's Gwnums system, in order to make this possible.

      Unfortunately, there are severe limitations for the k values (in this first=
      ettempt...).

      So, this program uses IBDWT only if k <= 511 in non SSE2 code, and (alas...=
      ) k <= 31 in
      SSE2 code ; for larger k's, it works exactly like the previous LLR version,=
      using Proth mode
      and rational bases FFT. But for really small k's, it is a major improvement=
      :

      With P4 and SSE2, it tests 3*2^n-1 numbers more than four times faster than=
      previous LLR !

      So, Paul Underwood and the 3-2-1 project members would be happy !

      Enjoy !

      Sincerely yours,

      Jean Penné
    • William Garnett III
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
        Excellent job on the great speed improvment made Jean!!!

        Where can we get this latest version at?
        http://www.mersenne.org/gimps sitll shows old version.

        Also, is the speed improvement just for k*2^n-1? In other words,
        3*2^n+1 doesn't get a speed improvent?

        Thanks for the responses.

        regards,
        william
      • Paul Underwood
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Jean Penné <jpenne@w...> wrote:
          > Hi, All !
          >

          > The new LLR has arrived !

          thanks very much Jean. It is fast!!

          Perhaps we will now see some new big primes on:

          http://www.prothsearch.net/riesel2.html

          Paul
        • Paul Underwood
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
            Hi,

            the program seems to have a bug if a "save file" is loaded. A save
            file is created when you press "test-stop" -- SO DON'T PRESS IT. If
            LLR has crashes on you:

            1) stop the process: kill llr.exe
            2) delete the save files -- these start with 'x' or 'y' and have 7
            digits after that in their file name.
            3) restart the new llr and set "options->minutes between disk writes"
            to 99999 so that no save file is ever going to be created.

            I have told Jean about this problem and he said that he would look
            into after a holiday to India!

            Paul
          • andrew_j_walker
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13 5:20 PM
              Can someone please let me know the most up to date source for
              k*2^n-1 ranges reserved. According to
              http://www.prothsearch.net/riesel2.html
              k=23 has been tested to [48000], is this still accurate? I'd
              like to reserve it and search a bit higher.

              Thanks,
              Andrew Walker
            • andrew_j_walker
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13 10:22 PM
                --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_j_walker" <ajw01@u...>
                wrote:

                > Can someone please let me know the most up to date source for
                > k*2^n-1 ranges reserved. According to
                > http://www.prothsearch.net/riesel2.html
                > k=23 has been tested to [48000], is this still accurate? I'd
                > like to reserve it and search a bit higher.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Andrew Walker

                Thanks to everyone who replied to me. To summarise, the link
                above is as accurate as it could be, it appears many people have
                searched higher without informing Wilfred!

                http://www.15k.org/ has a search for multiples of 15*k*2^n-1
                and for k*2^n-1 for k<300. I'm going to start k=5 which will largely
                be verification for small k.

                Andrew