Re: gen Cullen/Woodalls

  • eharsh82
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
      Thomas,
      Large bases are less likely to produce primes, because of the rate
      the series grows by, but it is impossible to say there is no prime in
      the series or there are infinite number of primes, for a given base.

      For base 2 there are thought to be infinite but negligible number of
      primes for Cullen/woodall.

      We can kind of define a weight for each k, similar to nash weights.
      This might help decide what bases are good and what not.

      Since all factors of n*b^n+-1 are also factors of b^a-1, we can
      search from a=1 to 256 to see how many candidates remain for n=100K
      to 110K.

      Have you done some searching. What base have you got stuck on? May be
      some people from this group can help you find the prime for that
      base.

      An intresting question, I myself was wondering about some time back.

      --Harsh Aggarwal
    • Pavlos S
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
        Indeed,the non-existence of a finite covering set does
        not prove infinite number of primes.Some time ago i
        had constructed a "possible"-infinite covering set for
        the Sierpinski numbers which used the algebraic
        factoring of 4*X^4+1.

        http://search.yahoo.com