Re: [PrimeNumbers] Twin Primes

  • Marty Weissman
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 13, 2004
      Thanks to all for the help.
    • bsmath2000
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 10, 2004
        My real proof of the infinitude of twin primes url had a period
        at the end because of the sentence it was in, here it is, it
        should go through this time:

        http://www.lulu.com/bsmath
      • LALGUDI BALASUNDARAM
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 7, 2004
          Hi,
          While I am amazed at the impressive progress made with
          twin primes, I cannot help feeling some of the basic
          prime questions for e.g. as to why twin primes appear
          only in certain positions in prime sequence and not in
          other positions remain unanswered (to my knowledge).

          However much we may pursue with impressive advances in
          primes, the fact remains prime structure basics will
          have to be understood to provide the solid foundation
          for all the impressive advances in primes.

          I wish to submit my submission on prime structures
          carries answers to some of these basic questions and
          look forward to building stronger foundations of prime
          behaviour based on prime structures.

          L.J.Balasundaram

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Marty Weissman
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 24, 2005
            As far as the twin primes we know, is it true that there is a pair between every set of integers between P and P squared, where P is any prime number > 2?

          • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 24, 2005
              On Sunday 24 April 2005 22:54, you wrote:
              > As far as the twin primes we know, is it true that there is a pair between
              > every set of integers between P and P squared, where P is any prime number
              > > 2?

              No, try 19.

              ? forprime(p=19^2,20^2,print(p))
              367
              373
              379
              383
              389
              397

              There's also 53.

              ? forprime(p=53^2,54^2,print(p))
              2819
              2833
              2837
              2843
              2851
              2857
              2861
              2879
              2887
              2897
              2903
              2909

              Nothing else up to 50000, and no other counterexamples are expected. That's
              because heuristically, twin prime pairs in the vicinity of n occur about
              every O(log^2 n) integers, and your interval has (n+1)^2 - n^2 = 2n + 1
              integers. Since 2n + 1 grows faster than log^2 n, one would expect no
              counterexamples to your statement other than these `small' ones. By the way,
              numerical evidence using some better approximations (including constants and
              so on) lends credence to this heuristic.

              Décio

            • Jens Kruse Andersen
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 25, 2005
                Marty Weissman wrote:

                > As far as the twin primes we know, is it true that there is a pair between
                > every set of integers between P and P squared, where P is any prime
                > number > 2?

                You seem to modestly only ask for a twin prime pair between P and P^2.
                That is satisfied for all numbers 2 < P < 33218925*2^169690-1

                33218925*2^169690+/-1 with 51090 digits is the largest known twin, found by
                Danial Papp with Proth.exe.
                For all smaller twins n+/-1, there is a known twin between this and (n-1)^2.

                --
                Jens Kruse Andersen
              • Marty Weissman
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 25, 2005
                  Thanks to all who replied.
                  >> As far as the twin primes we know, is it true that there is a pair
                  >> between
                  >> every set of integers between P and P squared, where P is any prime
                  >> number > 2?
                  >
                  > You seem to modestly only ask for a twin prime pair between P and P^2.
                  > That is satisfied for all numbers 2 < P < 33218925*2^169690-1
                  >
                  > 33218925*2^169690+/-1 with 51090 digits is the largest known twin, found
                  > by
                  > Danial Papp with Proth.exe.
                  > For all smaller twins n+/-1, there is a known twin between this and
                  > (n-1)^2.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jens Kruse Andersen

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bob Gilson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
                    I was trying to discover what I thought should be a simple thing, about primes the other day.

                    Is there a way of calculating, for any PI(x) (within reason), what proportion in percentage terms the twin primes play their part?

                    Example: when (x) = 100, the twin primes account for 66.67% of the total primes.

                    Of course, in this example 5 has to be counted twice, - a condition not to be repeated later.

                    As PI(x) gets larger does the percentage of twin primes continue to decline in relation to the total primes, or does it settle down to a constant percentage? Are there any tables available and if so up to what value of PI(x)?

                    Many thanks

                    Bob

                  • Andrey Kulsha
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
                      > Are there any tables available and if so up to what value of PI(x)?

                      http://www.ieeta.pt/~tos/primes.html

                      Best,

                      Andrey

                    • Werner D. Sand
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gilson <bobgillson@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I was trying to discover what I thought should be a simple thing,
                        about primes the other day.

                        > Is there a way of calculating, for any PI(x) (within reason), what
                        proportion in percentage terms the twin primes play their part?

                        > Example: when (x) = 100, the twin primes account for 66.67% of the
                        total primes.

                        > Of course, in this example 5 has to be counted twice, - a condition
                        not to be repeated later.

                        > As PI(x) gets larger does the percentage of twin primes continue to
                        decline in relation to the total primes, or does it settle down to a
                        constant percentage? Are there any tables available and if so up to
                        what value of PI(x)?

                        > Many thanks
                        >
                        > Bob

                        Hi Bob,

                        The approximate number of primes <=x is pi(x) ~ x/log x.
                        The approximate number of twins <=x is pi2(x) ~ x/(log x)².
                        The quotient of both is log x.

                        WDS
                      • Kermit Rose
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 19 5:54 AM
                          ## between 3 and 3*5; 3 pairs of twin primes;
                          Prime number theorem estimates 0

                          ## between 3*5 and 3*5*7; 6 pairs of twin primes;
                          Prime number theorem estimates 5

                          ## between 3*5*7 and 3*5*7*11; 32 pairs of twin primes;
                          Prime number theorem estimates 18

                          ## between 3*5*7*11 and 3*5*7*11*13; 231 pairs of twin primes;
                          Prime number theorem estimates 144

                          ## between 3*5*7*11*13 and 3*5*7*11*13*17; 2355 pairs of twin primes;
                          Prime number theorem estimates 1503

                          ## between 3*5*7*11*13*17 and 3*5*7*11*13*19; 28999 pairs of twin primes;
                          Prime number theorem estimates 18961

                          ## between 3*5*7*11*13*19 and 3*5*7*11*13*19*23; Estimated is :
                          Prime number theorem estimates 305907

                          For the prime number theorem estimates,
                          I used the formula

                          Upper/ ( (ln(upper))**2 - Lower/ ( (ln(lower))**2

                          I note that the estimates, estimated in this way are significantly lower
                          than actual.

                          I presume that someone has figured out a much better formula, still
                          consistent with the prime number theorem,
                          for estimating the number of twin primes less than a given integer.

                          Kermit
                        • Chris Caldwell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 19 6:28 AM

                            http://primes.utm.edu/top20/page.php?id=1