Re: [PrimeNumbers] A new and improved "Sieve of Eretosthenes"?

  • Gerrit Begher
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
      http://www.primepuzzles.net/problems/prob_037.htm :)

      I'm currently working on the same idea and over the last year i've found out several simple properties of these patterns; currently i'm preparing a written version to give a better tool to enable proves to these and further properties. i'll possibly release it within a month or two.

      gerrit begher

    • Ben Bradley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
        At 01:19 PM 2/3/04 -0000, kenox5252 wrote:
        >I don't like being told "never",but I have played with primes off and
        >on for years and found no pattern to them. I have recently discovered
        >that there is a constantly shifting pattern to the primes,themselves,
        >but there is a constant pattern to the composites. I am "selling" an
        >idea. If you are "buying", the "cost" is whatever time you expend to
        >disprove, approve, or otherwise play with it. No copyrite or patent
        >(pending or otherwise). I have only a basic understanding of algebra,
        >so please bear with me. I just barely undersand a+b=c. OK. The common
        >understanding and explenation. All primes, except 2 are odd. Yeah!
        >That just knocked half the numbers out of the game. Hey!! All numbers
        >ending in 5 can't be prime. Now my search is down to 12 out of 30
        >numbers. I think I can cut the search down to 8 out of 30.

        So far, it looks like you're, uh, "reinventing the wheel." :) Read this
        earlier message and see if it's similar to what you're doing:

        >Let's kick
        >out the 3's. The way to do that is 3*x+y=possible prime(pp). If x=
        >(odd), then y=2. If x=(even) then y=1. Thus it starts:
        >3*1+2=5, prime; 3*2+1=7, prime; 3*3+2=11, prime; 3*4+1=13, prime;
        >3*5+2=17; prime; 3*6+1=19, prime; 3*7+2=23, prime; 3*8+1=25,
        >composite, 5*5. That worked prety good up to there, but can I predict
        >the next composite in the series? Let's see. 5*5+2*5=5*7=35. Carry
        >on. 3*9+2=29, prime; 3*10+1=31, prime; 3*11+2=35, composite, 5*7.
        >Ok so far. Now, to compute for the next two composites.
        >5*7+2*7=7*7=49 and 5*7+4*5=5*11=55. Move it on up. 3*12+1=37, prime;
        >3*13+2=41, prime; 3*14+1=43, prime; 3*15+2=47, prime; 3*16+1=49,
        >composite, 7*7; 3*17+2=53, prime; 3*18+1=55, composite,5*11. I
        >worked this up to 3*333+2=1001, but the floppy was corupted and I
        >lost all the info. I am working it again on floppy and hard drive for
        >back up. There are more patterns, but I don't think it will help in
        >the search for mega primes. Only a small bit of interesting, and
        >trivial, info.

        ---
        http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
      • liufengsui
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
          Yes. Liu's prime formula is the first formula, which can prove
          further properties of primes.
          I wish that you may use the idea to get great success.
          I try prove the prime k-tuple conjecture, had submited normal
          journal, it is very hard to referee it.
          Perhaps I will release a now version.
          China
          Liu Fengsui