Re: [PrimeNumbers] (unknown)

  • Andy Swallow
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
      > > In 50 words or less, please tell me why prime numbers
      > > are so good (besides the fact that they are the
      > > building blocks for all composite numbers...).
      > >
      > > Do they have practical signifigance i.e. in
      > > engineering, science, art, architecture
      > > etcetera?...............
      >
      > Prime numbers have many applications in cryptography, group theory (which in
      > turn has applications in the real world, such as physics), random number
      > generation and other fields.

      But on the other hand, b******s to the applications, :-)

      The abstract theory of prime distribution theory goes way beyond any of the
      various little applications that have been discovered over the years.
      Primes are studied simply because they're there. Perhaps like climbing a
      mountain...

      They aren't studied just for practical applications. It's the challenge
      of the study.

      Andy