Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: state of the art in primality proving

  • Cletus Emmanuel
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2004
      Marcel,
      At first, I thought, Why can't we use your software in the US? It made me sad. I thought you were to blame. But now I see. And I am furious about this company threatening you. I wish that you had the resources to fight. I love the free flow of information and I hate those who restrict it. Why can't we all just have a free flow of intellectual information without monetary gain. I'll tell you, I've learn a lot from this group. Its a good thing that there isn't a patent on the info flowing out of this group. And thank goodness you guys didn't charge me for info (LOL). I do hope that we can find a way around these crapy patent laws soon ..........
      -----Cletus Emmanuel
      P.S.: I did read the Marcel post on why we can't use PRIMO in the US, Canada and Japan.

      gchil0 <jgchilders@...> wrote:
      Actually there's a bit more to it than this. He doesn't wish to
      restrict the use of his program but his hand was forced. In his
      license agreement:

      "PATENTS
      If the Author is advised that the Software is infringing a patent, the
      Author shall forbid distribution and use of the Software in all
      countries where the patent is applicable. In this case, the User's
      sole remedy shall be to refrain from using the Software in such
      countries or to obtain authorization from the patent holder."

      Oberthur Card System applied in 1999 for a patent on a method of
      point-halving in elliptic curves. Primo implements point-halving, but
      using a different algorithm than that described in the patent.
      Nevertheless, Oberthur sent Marcel a cease-and-desist letter. Not
      having the resources to fight this, Marcel had to comply and added the
      above to the license agreement. Hence the current restrictions.
      http://swpat.ffii.org/patents/effects/ocshit/index.en.html has a few
      more details and
      http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/sci.crypt/2003-10/2784.html
      includes Marcel's thoughts on the issue.

      Greg

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, D�cio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
      <decio@r...> wrote:

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT