Re: [PrimeNumbers] Residual Factorization Extension

  • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
    • Jud McCranie
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
        • Milton Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
            Mr. Filho:

            I am sorry that you consider my method a delusion.

            Perhaps you are not able to reproduce the mathematics
            Described in www.csulb.edu/~mbrown10.

            If you have indeed read it and are having trouble,
            I will be glad to help. These numbers are reproducible
            And not a delusion.

            I fail to see how you could produce better numbers than RSA's.
            Please inform me and others if you can.

            Perhaps the moderator should already be operating here.

            Thanks.

            Milton L. Brown
            miltbrown@...

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
              Hi All,
              As one of the "moderators" I approved this post as Milton's "right of
              reply".
              However, and I am stating this publically for other members' benefit,
              I, personally (being unable to speak for the other moderators), will
              not approve another post to this list from Milton on his Residual
              factorization method unless it contains an answer to the challenge he
              has been issued (again).
              Cheers
              Ken
              --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Milton Brown" <miltbrown@e...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                At 11:31 PM 1/4/2004, Milton Brown wrote:

                >I fail to see how you could produce better numbers than RSA's.
                >Please inform me and others if you can.

                As far as I know, you have never shown that you method works on large
                numbers in which you don't know the prime factors. Show how it works on
                the examples given here.
              • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
                • Alan Eliasen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                    I'll have to admit that I even tried to implement Mr. Brown's
                    algorithm, to torture-test the primality-checking routines in my
                    programming language "Frink", http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/
                    (although I'll certainly admit that the description given in his
                    PowerPoint presentation does not give enough information to be usable to
                    anyone. The mention of the "Nyquist Criterion" is, I believe,
                    intentionally vague. I understand both the Nyquist stability criteria,
                    and the Nyquist sampling criteria, and those who understand them will
                    see, readily, that this mention is insufficient and inappropriate.)

                    He also sent me a spreadsheet that just had unexplained numbers in
                    it, all entered by hand; there was no equation in the entire thing, and
                    was thus useless.

                    In any case, even though the description was clearly insufficient, I
                    gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried many different
                    interpretations of the vague bits.

                    For example, it's unclear what "minimums of R" means, so I tried all
                    of the following:

                    * Minimum value of R found in a range
                    * Minimum absolute value of R
                    * Minimum sum of values of R
                    * Minimum sum of absolute values of R
                    * Minimum RMS sum of values of R

                    In addition, since this is obvious *incredibly* sensitive to the
                    exact numbers you sample, I tried lots of sampling rates and sampling
                    offsets, including very high sampling rates which should exceed any
                    interpretation of the Nyquist sampling criterion, if indeed that is what
                    was meant. I tried lots of "bin" sizes for the sums and averages. I
                    also tried scaling the minima along with their magnitudes (the values of
                    R tend to get larger as you sample larger numbers, of course.)

                    I worked with numbers of which I knew the factors, and, to make a
                    long story short, I see absolutely no evidence that the algorithm, as
                    presented, has any utility. Even if you know the exact factors, and try
                    really hard to make it fit, you can't even force the algorithm to point
                    to the right places, other than what would be expected by pure
                    probabilities. If you have 10 bins, 1/10 of the time you'll sample
                    numbers that drop it in the right bin. I don't see that as strong evidence.

                    Rather, it became quite clear that the minima found, even with the
                    smoothing produced by summing, has a lot of stochastic variation which
                    is directly due to the particular sample points that you chose.

                    It is easy to see, therefore, that _post facto_, one could choose a
                    set of sample points that "proved" this algorithm true if you already
                    knew the factors of a number. I will absolutely not accept any post
                    facto evidence as evidence that this algorithm works, especially when
                    work is not shown.

                    I agree that Décio's test is fair, acceptable, and should well be
                    within the reach of Mr. Brown's algorithm if it works as claimed. So,
                    please, either provide the digits, or go back to the drawing board, and
                    stop making further unsubstantiated claims. I would suggest that it is
                    not a worthwhile use of one's time to attempt to reproduce this
                    algorithm unless Mr. Brown provides the digits requested (unless you're
                    writing a programming language that you're torture-testing. :) )

                    If, indeed, he provides the factors, I will gladly help code the
                    algorithms. Seems like pretty safe money.

                    --
                    Alan Eliasen | "You cannot reason a person out of a
                    eliasen@... | position he did not reason himself
                    | --Jonathan Swift
                  • Alan Eliasen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                      Oh, and the fact that if you happen to sample dead-on a factor, that
                      it doesn't produce a minimum, is exceptionally telling.

                      --
                      Alan Eliasen | "You cannot reason a person out of a
                      eliasen@... | position he did not reason himself
                      http://futureboy.homeip.net/ | into in the first place."
                      | --Jonathan Swift
                    • grostoon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Hi all and happy new year,

                        I too have discovered an amazing algorithm that factorizes a
                        composite integer N in O(log(log(Pmax))^1/2) where Pmax is the
                        largest prime factor of N !!!

                        I have a truly marvelous demonstration of this proposition but this
                        margin is too narrow to contain it...

                        ;-)

                        Jean-Louis.