Residual Factorization Extension

  • Milton Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      Happy New Year to All:

      Based on my Residual Factorization Method described in

      www.csulb.edu/~mbrown10

      I can computer the first digits of RSA factors.

      I would like to obtain a program like ECM which will use these
      digits to complete the factorization.

      Does anyone have such a program?

      Thanks,

      Milton L. Brown
      miltbrown@...

    • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
      • Jud McCranie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
          • Milton Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
              Mr. Filho:

              I am sorry that you consider my method a delusion.

              Perhaps you are not able to reproduce the mathematics
              Described in www.csulb.edu/~mbrown10.

              If you have indeed read it and are having trouble,
              I will be glad to help. These numbers are reproducible
              And not a delusion.

              I fail to see how you could produce better numbers than RSA's.
              Please inform me and others if you can.

              Perhaps the moderator should already be operating here.

              Thanks.

              Milton L. Brown
              miltbrown@...

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                Hi All,
                As one of the "moderators" I approved this post as Milton's "right of
                reply".
                However, and I am stating this publically for other members' benefit,
                I, personally (being unable to speak for the other moderators), will
                not approve another post to this list from Milton on his Residual
                factorization method unless it contains an answer to the challenge he
                has been issued (again).
                Cheers
                Ken
                --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Milton Brown" <miltbrown@e...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                  At 11:31 PM 1/4/2004, Milton Brown wrote:

                  >I fail to see how you could produce better numbers than RSA's.
                  >Please inform me and others if you can.

                  As far as I know, you have never shown that you method works on large
                  numbers in which you don't know the prime factors. Show how it works on
                  the examples given here.
                • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
                  • Alan Eliasen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                      I'll have to admit that I even tried to implement Mr. Brown's
                      algorithm, to torture-test the primality-checking routines in my
                      programming language "Frink", http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/
                      (although I'll certainly admit that the description given in his
                      PowerPoint presentation does not give enough information to be usable to
                      anyone. The mention of the "Nyquist Criterion" is, I believe,
                      intentionally vague. I understand both the Nyquist stability criteria,
                      and the Nyquist sampling criteria, and those who understand them will
                      see, readily, that this mention is insufficient and inappropriate.)

                      He also sent me a spreadsheet that just had unexplained numbers in
                      it, all entered by hand; there was no equation in the entire thing, and
                      was thus useless.

                      In any case, even though the description was clearly insufficient, I
                      gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried many different
                      interpretations of the vague bits.

                      For example, it's unclear what "minimums of R" means, so I tried all
                      of the following:

                      * Minimum value of R found in a range
                      * Minimum absolute value of R
                      * Minimum sum of values of R
                      * Minimum sum of absolute values of R
                      * Minimum RMS sum of values of R

                      In addition, since this is obvious *incredibly* sensitive to the
                      exact numbers you sample, I tried lots of sampling rates and sampling
                      offsets, including very high sampling rates which should exceed any
                      interpretation of the Nyquist sampling criterion, if indeed that is what
                      was meant. I tried lots of "bin" sizes for the sums and averages. I
                      also tried scaling the minima along with their magnitudes (the values of
                      R tend to get larger as you sample larger numbers, of course.)

                      I worked with numbers of which I knew the factors, and, to make a
                      long story short, I see absolutely no evidence that the algorithm, as
                      presented, has any utility. Even if you know the exact factors, and try
                      really hard to make it fit, you can't even force the algorithm to point
                      to the right places, other than what would be expected by pure
                      probabilities. If you have 10 bins, 1/10 of the time you'll sample
                      numbers that drop it in the right bin. I don't see that as strong evidence.

                      Rather, it became quite clear that the minima found, even with the
                      smoothing produced by summing, has a lot of stochastic variation which
                      is directly due to the particular sample points that you chose.

                      It is easy to see, therefore, that _post facto_, one could choose a
                      set of sample points that "proved" this algorithm true if you already
                      knew the factors of a number. I will absolutely not accept any post
                      facto evidence as evidence that this algorithm works, especially when
                      work is not shown.

                      I agree that Décio's test is fair, acceptable, and should well be
                      within the reach of Mr. Brown's algorithm if it works as claimed. So,
                      please, either provide the digits, or go back to the drawing board, and
                      stop making further unsubstantiated claims. I would suggest that it is
                      not a worthwhile use of one's time to attempt to reproduce this
                      algorithm unless Mr. Brown provides the digits requested (unless you're
                      writing a programming language that you're torture-testing. :) )

                      If, indeed, he provides the factors, I will gladly help code the
                      algorithms. Seems like pretty safe money.

                      --
                      Alan Eliasen | "You cannot reason a person out of a
                      eliasen@... | position he did not reason himself
                      | --Jonathan Swift
                    • Alan Eliasen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                        Oh, and the fact that if you happen to sample dead-on a factor, that
                        it doesn't produce a minimum, is exceptionally telling.

                        --
                        Alan Eliasen | "You cannot reason a person out of a
                        eliasen@... | position he did not reason himself
                        http://futureboy.homeip.net/ | into in the first place."
                        | --Jonathan Swift
                      • grostoon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
                          Hi all and happy new year,

                          I too have discovered an amazing algorithm that factorizes a
                          composite integer N in O(log(log(Pmax))^1/2) where Pmax is the
                          largest prime factor of N !!!

                          I have a truly marvelous demonstration of this proposition but this
                          margin is too narrow to contain it...

                          ;-)

                          Jean-Louis.