Re: [PrimeNumbers] A 174-digit brilliant number

  • Ray Telford
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      My congratulations to Jens Franke and his cow-orkers.
      nice to see primenumbers having interesting posts again.

      fatray,
      silent member, nothing of interest to say.
    • gchil0
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
        > An efficient and widespread G(S)NFS implementation already
        > exists. NFSNET is recruiting. Please see www.nfsnet.org
        > for more details.

        An efficient and widespread line siever already exists. There is
        currently no efficent and widespread G(S)NFS implementation available
        that one can use on one's own computer or small cluster to factor
        numbers of one's own choice that are of length of, say, a little over
        100 digits. (Below 100 digits, Satoshi Tomabechi's PPSIQS available
        at http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/cn/ is a good choice.)
        Well...there's Kida's NFSX, an implementation of SNFS in UBasic, but
        it's restricted to odd degree polynomials. However, that will
        hopefully soon change. Satoshi Tomabechi has been working on an
        implementation of NFS, and, while it's still very much a
        work-in-progress, Chris Monico's GGNFS
        (http://www.nd.edu/~cmonico/ggnfs/) has successfully factored numbers
        of 50 digits or so.

        Greg
      • ctcard_hotmail_com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
          "gchil0" <jgchilders@...> wrote:

          >> An efficient and widespread G(S)NFS implementation already
          >> exists.   NFSNET is recruiting.  Please see www.nfsnet.org
          >> for more details.
          >
          >An efficient and widespread line siever already exists.  There is
          >currently no efficent and widespread G(S)NFS implementation available
          >that one can use on one's own computer or small cluster to factor
          >numbers of one's own choice that are of length of, say, a little over
          >100 digits.  (Below 100 digits, Satoshi Tomabechi's PPSIQS available
          >at http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/cn/ is a good choice.)
          >Well...there's Kida's NFSX, an implementation of SNFS in UBasic, but
          >it's restricted to odd degree polynomials.  However, that will
          >hopefully soon change.  Satoshi Tomabechi has been working on an
          >implementation of NFS, and, while it's still very much a
          >work-in-progress, Chris Monico's GGNFS
          >(http://www.nd.edu/~cmonico/ggnfs/) has successfully factored numbers
          >of 50 digits or so.
          I'm working on my own GNFS implementation, which I've tested to about
          100 digits so far, (although I'm reaching the limits of the hardware I
          have available unfortunately). I hope to release it sometime, but that
          probably won't be for a few months.

          Chris