A 174-digit brilliant number

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      Here is a base-2 brilliant number factored recently.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
        Congratulations to all for this amazing record
        breaking factorization! I cant wait the time for an
        efficient wide spread G(S)NFS implementation.

        --- Paul Leyland <pleyland@...> wrote:
        > Here is a base-2 brilliant number factored recently.
        >

        > Paul

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
      • Paul Leyland
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
          > Congratulations to all for this amazing record
          > breaking factorization! I cant wait the time for an
          > efficient wide spread G(S)NFS implementation.

          An efficient and widespread G(S)NFS implementation already
          exists. NFSNET is recruiting. Please see www.nfsnet.org
          for more details. Joining in is as easy as registering your
          interest, downloading a distribution kit and following the
          simple installation instructions. If you don't find them
          simple, let me know and I'll re-write them!

          Don Leclair, Richard Wackerbarth and I were building NFSNET when
          Jens Franke and his cow-orkers were sieving RSA-576. We joined in
          that effort and used it to help develop the NFSNET software at
          the same time.

          At the moment, NFSNET is part-way through another world-record
          factorization, this time for the special number field sieve. We
          are factoring the Mersenne number 2^811-1 and when we finish we
          will take the record currently held by Jens Franke et al.

          There's plenty of room in NFSNET for everyone on this list to
          join in if they wish. I happen to know that some members are
          already run the NFSNET software and their contributions are
          gratefully acknowledged.

          Paul
        • Ray Telford
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
            My congratulations to Jens Franke and his cow-orkers.
            nice to see primenumbers having interesting posts again.

            fatray,
            silent member, nothing of interest to say.
          • gchil0
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
              > An efficient and widespread G(S)NFS implementation already
              > exists. NFSNET is recruiting. Please see www.nfsnet.org
              > for more details.

              An efficient and widespread line siever already exists. There is
              currently no efficent and widespread G(S)NFS implementation available
              that one can use on one's own computer or small cluster to factor
              numbers of one's own choice that are of length of, say, a little over
              100 digits. (Below 100 digits, Satoshi Tomabechi's PPSIQS available
              at http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/cn/ is a good choice.)
              Well...there's Kida's NFSX, an implementation of SNFS in UBasic, but
              it's restricted to odd degree polynomials. However, that will
              hopefully soon change. Satoshi Tomabechi has been working on an
              implementation of NFS, and, while it's still very much a
              work-in-progress, Chris Monico's GGNFS
              (http://www.nd.edu/~cmonico/ggnfs/) has successfully factored numbers
              of 50 digits or so.

              Greg
            • ctcard_hotmail_com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
                "gchil0" <jgchilders@...> wrote:

                >> An efficient and widespread G(S)NFS implementation already
                >> exists.   NFSNET is recruiting.  Please see www.nfsnet.org
                >> for more details.
                >
                >An efficient and widespread line siever already exists.  There is
                >currently no efficent and widespread G(S)NFS implementation available
                >that one can use on one's own computer or small cluster to factor
                >numbers of one's own choice that are of length of, say, a little over
                >100 digits.  (Below 100 digits, Satoshi Tomabechi's PPSIQS available
                >at http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/cn/ is a good choice.)
                >Well...there's Kida's NFSX, an implementation of SNFS in UBasic, but
                >it's restricted to odd degree polynomials.  However, that will
                >hopefully soon change.  Satoshi Tomabechi has been working on an
                >implementation of NFS, and, while it's still very much a
                >work-in-progress, Chris Monico's GGNFS
                >(http://www.nd.edu/~cmonico/ggnfs/) has successfully factored numbers
                >of 50 digits or so.
                I'm working on my own GNFS implementation, which I've tested to about
                100 digits so far, (although I'm reaching the limits of the hardware I
                have available unfortunately). I hope to release it sometime, but that
                probably won't be for a few months.

                Chris