The Prime Sierpinski Numbers.

  • eharsh82
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2003
      Has anyone looked at these. This is how I define them :

      A Sierpinski number is an odd number k such that k.2^n +1 is not
      prime for any n > 0.

      A prime Sierpinski number is a prime number k such that k.2^n +1 is
      not prime for any n > 0.

      I have been trying to eliminate most primes k's under 271129, the
      smallest prime Sierpinski Number, by finding primes.

      Let me know if some one has already done this work or if you would
      like to help me find primes for k's under 271129.

      With best regards,
      Harsh Aggarwal
    • eharsh82
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2003
        To participate in the search or to see my work till now on this
        subject please visit www.geocities.com/eharsh82/

        Harsh Aggarwal

        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "eharsh82" <harsh@u...> wrote:
        > Has anyone looked at these. This is how I define them :
        >
        > A Sierpinski number is an odd number k such that k.2^n +1 is not
        > prime for any n > 0.
        >
        > A prime Sierpinski number is a prime number k such that k.2^n +1 is
        > not prime for any n > 0.
        >
        > I have been trying to eliminate most primes k's under 271129, the
        > smallest prime Sierpinski Number, by finding primes.
        >
        > Let me know if some one has already done this work or if you would
        > like to help me find primes for k's under 271129.
        >
        > With best regards,
        > Harsh Aggarwal
      • Edwin Clark
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2003
          On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, eharsh82 wrote:

          > Has anyone looked at these. This is how I define them :
          >
          > A Sierpinski number is an odd number k such that k.2^n +1 is not
          > prime for any n > 0.
          >
          > A prime Sierpinski number is a prime number k such that k.2^n +1 is
          > not prime for any n > 0.
          >
          > I have been trying to eliminate most primes k's under 271129, the
          > smallest prime Sierpinski Number, by finding primes.
          >
          > Let me know if some one has already done this work or if you would
          > like to help me find primes for k's under 271129.

          How do you prove for a particular value of k that k*2^n+1 is never prime
          for n > 0?

          I can think of a few values of k, for example if k = a^n where n is
          an odd power greater than 1 and a*2+1 is not prime then a^n*x^n+1 =
          (a*x)^n + 1 is not prime for all x > 0. But how do you do it in general?

          --Edwin
        • Edwin Clark
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2003
            On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Edwin Clark wrote:

            > On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, eharsh82 wrote:
            >
            > > Has anyone looked at these. This is how I define them :
            > >
            > > A Sierpinski number is an odd number k such that k.2^n +1 is not
            > > prime for any n > 0.
            > >
            > > A prime Sierpinski number is a prime number k such that k.2^n +1 is
            > > not prime for any n > 0.
            > >
            > > I have been trying to eliminate most primes k's under 271129, the
            > > smallest prime Sierpinski Number, by finding primes.
            > >
            > > Let me know if some one has already done this work or if you would
            > > like to help me find primes for k's under 271129.
            > >

            > How do you prove for a particular value of k that k*2^n+1 is never prime
            > for n > 0?
            >
            > I can think of a few values of k, for example if k = a^n where n is
            > an odd power greater than 1 and a*2+1 is not prime then a^n*x^n+1 =
            > (a*x)^n + 1 is not prime for all x > 0. But how do you do it in general?
            >
            > --Edwin

            Ignore my second paragraph!! It is irelevant.

            Also I have now found the references posted and can look up the papers to
            see how to prove a particular k is a Sierpinski number.

            --Edwin
          • eharsh82
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2003
              The Prime Sierpinski Problem has now become a project. Please visit
              visit http://www.geocities.com/eharsh82/ to join. Recently, we found
              our first prime and now only 25k's are left to find primes for.

              With best regards,
              Harsh Aggarwal
            • eharsh82
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
                The project now has a new forum. Please visit and participate on the
                forum at:-

                http://www.b2project.com/phpBB2/index.php

                Thanks,