Why is this guy allowed to continue to post off-topic stuff?

  • xed
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      Can *someone* not moderate this Bagula guy?
    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        > Can *someone* not moderate this Bagula guy?

        Peace, love and tolerance. ;-)

        "This Bagula guy" has been mostly posting on-topic in my opinion, even though we've had harsh words for each other recently. His material has been primarily about prime-related subjects, though in a misguided direction IMO.

        He's been posting material that many people have found inflammatory because he insists (whether through ignorance or aggression I leave others to decide) in using terminology and arguments more reminiscent of Humpty-Dumpty than of the vast majority of mathematicians. Nonetheless, he's asked at least one sensible question to which I attempted to give an informative answer. My answer wasn't entirely a waste of time because I've since had private email thanking me for my exposition.

        I support list moderation in principle and agree that the 2 people presently moderated deserve their status for the repetitiveness and for the intensity of their off-topic posts in the past. However, everyone should be forgiven their occasional indiscretions and I am certainly not going to cast the first stone, for a reason that should be clear. That said, perhaps one or two recent contributors should start moderating the style and frequency of their posts before list admins start ddoing it for them.

        Paul
      • Andrew Swallow
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          I have to say I agree, up to a point. His posts haven't really been
          off topic (mostly), but I think it's generally agreed that most of his
          stuff is "rubbish". But that doesn't matter, everyone has to learn one
          way or another. But that's the point, it's all about learning, not
          about lecturing the rest of us on the "fact" that he's right and the
          rest of the world is wrong.

          It's not the content of his posts that is annoying. It's his
          (apparent) outright refusal to accept the opinions of other people
          responding to him. He *does* occasionally post annoyingly off-topic
          messages, in which he moans on about us not being open-minded, etc
          etc. It would seem that if he doesn't understand, he just resorts to
          shouting that everyone is wrong.

          This guy should learn to listen to what others are trying to teach
          him. And perhaps attend some 1st year undergraduate maths lectures...

          Referring back to his recent reply to Paul Leyland, any more posts
          like that and he should be moderated.

          Andy

          PS Can I just say that I love his phrase "Most of your software is
          useless for real investigation of primes". It is of course true, but
          I'm not sure he meant it in the same way that I would...