Re: [PrimeNumbers] factoring Infinity by primes?

  • Andy Swallow
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
      > So what is Infinity?

      Stop arguing about infinity!!! There is absolutely no need to discuss
      the concept!

      Fact: Every finite integer (and of course every integer is finite) is
      divisible by a prime number. Do you accept this fact? This is the
      *only* bit of knowledge of primes that is needed for Euclid's proof.

      Take a finite list of primes, and multiply them all together. Add 1.
      Then the resulting (finite) number is clearly not divisible by any prime
      on the list you started with. But this number must be divisible by some
      prime, therefore there exists a prime not on the original list.
      Therefore any finite list of primes is incomplete, and thus the list of
      primes has no bound.

      Like I said before, it's the simplest proof in mathematics. You should
      be deeply ashamed to be misunderstanding it like you are. Tell us the
      flaw you think exists. I'm sure we can manage to discuss it, without the
      need for you whining on about people not liking new ideas.

      It seems we're all joining forces to argue against you. I'm sure I'm not
      the only person on the list who's "qualified" to argue this stuff. We're
      not stupid, listen to us...

      Andy
    • Christ van Willegen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hi folks,

        this morning, Primo (2.2.0 beta 1) 'surprised' me with this:

        [PRIMO - Task Report]
        Version=2.2.0 beta 1
        WebSite=http://www.ellipsa.net/
        Task=Certification
        ID=B297E03AF9975
        Created=10/30/2003 05:10:39 PM

        [Common]
        Path=C:\Christ\Primo\work\
        Selected=1
        Processed=1
        Certified=1
        Candidate #1=Certified, 4662h 7mn 8s

        [Candidate #1]
        Input=Primo-B288504C3AEB3-001.tmp
        Output=Primo-B288504C3AEB3-001.out
        Status=Candidate certified prime

        So, the PRP 1723^1716 + 1716^1723 (5554 decimal digits) has been
        proven prime! I await a new version of Jim Fougeron's Cert_Val to make
        sure the certificate is valid before submitting to Chris Caldwell's
        database.

        I used a Pentium IV at 1.8 GHz, so this is basically just under 1 GHzYear
        of processor power.

        Thanks to Marcel Martin for writing Primo, and giving me ample support
        during the certification...

        Christ van Willegen
      • Nathan Russell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
          --On Friday, October 31, 2003 7:48 AM -0800 Roger Bagula <tftn@...> wrote:

          > "don't feed the Trolls"
          > Here I'm doing it too.
          >
          > When you are the troll?
          >
          > So what is Infinity?
          >
          > You sure don't have a clue!
          > Most of the "rules"
          > for infinity are wrong or inconsistent.
          > So proofs using wrong axioms
          > and theorems gives nonsense like your email.
          >
          > And you defend nonsense as if it were the word of "God"?!
          >
          > " All I know is that I know nothing."
          > Basic start for informed discusion by rational beings.
          > Which you aren't it seems.
          > Try assuming nothing (except that what you learned in school is wrong).
          > Then you might have a chance of being more than a troll yourself.
          >
          > Mostly I find that you "primers" are a very narrow and ill informed
          > bunch messing in stuff you have very little real ideas about.
          > Most of your software is useless for real investigation of primes.
          > You don't ask fundamental questions
          > or allow them to be syated.
          > Reminds me of someone saying priests ought to be allowed to be married
          > to a cathotic bishop.
          > Doctrine , old or new, can't be qustioned except by other priests.
          > In other words stupidity and lack of math or science education?
          > Nasty narrow minds who can't or won't try to think on their own.
          > Like I said :"insults will get you nowhere".
          > I'm intersted in :
          > proofs,
          > fact,
          > and
          > truth.
          > Your email had none of any of those aspects.
          > I suggest you get a life.

          Mr. Bagula, for right now I'm saying this as informal advice, wearing only my list member hat.

          Most of the members are able to discuss primes and related issues in a civil fashion, without personal insults. Really, in my few months as a moderator I have found that a significant majority of the list is self-moderating.

          You may find your time here more enjoyable if you join that group.

          Regards,
          Nathan Russell