RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Finitude of primes

  • Paul Jobling
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      > Fermat Primes are only finite in number.

      The heuristics certainly say that, but has it been definitely proven?

    • Andy Swallow
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        > Fermat Primes are only finite in number.

        Not true.
        The number of Fermat primes is suspected to be finite, but it has not
        been proved. As far as I know, anyway. Unless my books are out of date!

        Andy
      • Gary Chaffey
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          In an earlier mail I stated:-
          Fermat Primes are only finite in number.
          I think I should of worded this 'more carefully'. I
          know that this is only a conjecture but it is another
          one of those conjectures which although hasn't been
          proven most evidence points this way.

        • Gary Chaffey
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            Fermat Primes are only finite in number.
            P.S.
            I do have a proof for this but it will not fit in the
            margin!!!

          • Paul Jobling
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
              On this subject, is there any set of primes that has been shown to have a
              finite - but unknown - number of elements? I can't think of any, though there
              are many which are heuristically thought to be finite (such as the Fermat
              primes).

              - Paul.