RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Finitude of primes

  • Paul Jobling
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      > Fermat Primes are only finite in number.

      The heuristics certainly say that, but has it been definitely proven?

    • Andy Swallow
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        > Fermat Primes are only finite in number.

        Not true.
        The number of Fermat primes is suspected to be finite, but it has not
        been proved. As far as I know, anyway. Unless my books are out of date!

        Andy
      • mikeoakes2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          In a message dated 01/10/03 15:25:15 GMT Daylight Time, caldwell@...
          writes:

          > Primes of the form x^2-1 (or x^n-1)...

          Not the second of these: restrict to x = 2 and you have made a probably-false
          statement:-)

          Mike

        • Gary Chaffey
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            In an earlier mail I stated:-
            Fermat Primes are only finite in number.
            I think I should of worded this 'more carefully'. I
            know that this is only a conjecture but it is another
            one of those conjectures which although hasn't been
            proven most evidence points this way.

          • Gary Chaffey
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
              Fermat Primes are only finite in number.
              P.S.
              I do have a proof for this but it will not fit in the
              margin!!!

            • Paul Jobling
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                On this subject, is there any set of primes that has been shown to have a
                finite - but unknown - number of elements? I can't think of any, though there
                are many which are heuristically thought to be finite (such as the Fermat
                primes).

                - Paul.