RE: [PrimeNumbers] Factoring query

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2003
      > Regarding my post a few weeks ago, iv been compiling a document,
      > going over my previous notes, etc. Whilst going over my notes Iv come
      > across something I think may be quite novel,
      >
      > assuming P is the number to be factored
      > Q and R the unkwown prime factors,
      >
      > S is the total of Q+R
      >
      > Given any P as a numerical value, I reckon that I can give 3^9 values
      > one of which will definatly be S.
      >
      > Although no maths expert I assume that by knowing S factoring P
      > should be more straight forword.
      > I would also be interested in an psudeo code that would enable me to
      > do this in program.
      >
      > any feedback welcome

      Dario and one or two others have shown how knowledge of S is useful.
      Unfortunately, you haven't yet showed us how to calculate S, given P.

      Please post a description of your method. Perhaps you may wish to use
      188136233324515777001445514691442404760086815432799030944466753222331359
      as an example. It's small enough, at 72 digits, to be very easy to
      factor with known methods such as ECM and MPQS, but large enough to be
      interesting.

      Paul