Explainable Spatial Patterns in Primes: A Step beyond Ulam's Spiral

  • Raja Sengupta
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2003
      Hello:

      I have just joined the group (hence a newbie), and I am not a professional
      mathematician. However, I am a spatial modeler, and I find that the
      Arithmetic Progression Rule to find an arbitrarily long sequence of prime
      numbers can be applied with absolute accuracy to spatially describe the
      occurrence of a group of numbers I called 'Prime Exceptions' (i.e., numbers
      ending with 1, 3, 7 or 9 that are not primes). This explicit pattern, of
      course, can conversely be used to predict the location of the prime numbers
      in the number line. Would anyone care to comment on the preprint version
      (paper submitted to the journal FRACTALS) at
      http://geog.mcgill.ca/faculty/sengupta/Fractals.pdf? Also, is there some
      other mathematical proof I should be aware of that is related to this research?

      Thanks,

      -- Raja