Prime search

  • navid_altaf
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Firstly,another thing I've realized,I never introduced myself to the
      group. For what its worth,I work in the Medical Physics Dept.@Guy's
      Hospital,London. My interest in prime nos is part-time. Hence,I'm
      going to end up saying the obvious or end up treading on old ground.
      Hope you have the patience to put up with me.
      Anyhows, my latest line of thought: there will always be a prime no
      very close to the square of a prime no.

      eg.
      121(11x11), prime=127
      169(13x13),173
      289(17x17),293
      361(19x19),367
      529(23x23),541
      841(29x29),853

      Does this break down with the larger primes ?

      Navid
    • Andy Swallow
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        > Anyhows, my latest line of thought: there will always be a prime no
        > very close to the square of a prime no.
        >
        > eg.
        > 121(11x11), prime=127
        > 169(13x13),173
        > 289(17x17),293
        > 361(19x19),367
        > 529(23x23),541
        > 841(29x29),853

        But you must be more specific. How close is 'very close'? To make this
        statement even vaguely acceptable, you'd have to look at a hell of a lot
        more primes than those.

        Andy