Prime

  • navid_altaf
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      Oh dear. Its finally dawned on me I'm just stating the obvious
      by definition. Sorry. I'm going to try to stop thinking about
      prime nos for some time (I can almost hear your collective sigh of
      relief).
    • Mark Underwood
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        That's OK Navid, many of us have been there! We get so focused and
        narrowed in on something that we loose sight of the obvious.

        Now that I'm typing, I must say that I just love that little picture
        at the Home page of this Yahoo Prime group! It shows two little
        people standing before an awesomely big statue of the number '2'.

        Now, about generating primes. I'm currently investigating a very
        simple function, call it P(p,x,y), which is very good at generating
        primes of all kinds. In fact on cursory examination it seems that if
        one, say, doubles the range of x covered, the number of primes
        produced almost doubles. If one doubles the range of y covered, the
        number of primes produced almost doubles as well. For example for one
        particular (and typical) p, if x ranges from 1 to 10 and y ranges
        from 1 to 70, 83 primes are produced by the function. If the range of
        y is allowed to double, that is from 1 to 140, 161 primes are
        generated. In the first case when y ranges from 1 to 70, the lowest
        prime produced is 379 and the highest is 15196639291. Most of the
        numbers are over 7 digits.

        Is this ordinary, good, or too good to be true?

        Mark

        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "navid_altaf" <navid.altaf@g...>