Composite nos

  • navid_altaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      An observation I made (checked for the range 3-10000)suggests
      that ODD composite nos can be described as follows:

      - composite(odd)< 121 : divisible by 3,5 or 7

      - composite(odd)> 121 : will always be the product of a
      prime no AND a no. indivisible by 3,5, or 7

      Is it possible to prove this?
      Any examples of where this does not hold?

      Navid
    • Andy Swallow
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:04:21AM -0000, navid_altaf wrote:

        > An observation I made (checked for the range 3-10000)suggests
        > that ODD composite nos can be described as follows:
        >
        > - composite(odd)< 121 : divisible by 3,5 or 7
        >
        > - composite(odd)> 121 : will always be the product of a
        > prime no AND a no. indivisible by 3,5, or 7
        >

        > Is it possible to prove this?
        > Any examples of where this does not hold?

        Are you being serious? What do you mean? What about 225? Have you
        thought about this at all? So once you get past 121, there are no
        numbers divisible by 7 and 3? Or 5 and 7? Or 3, 5 and 7? What are you
        on?

        Andy
      • navid_altaf
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          Sorry folks, obvious error in my previous message. Not quite
          with it today. Take 2:

          An observation I made suggests that ODD composite nos can be
          described in one of two ways:

          - composite(odd): divisible by 3,5 or 7

          or

          - composite(odd): product of a prime no AND a no. indivisible by
          3,5 or 7.

          Navid
        • Andy Swallow
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            > Sorry folks, obvious error in my previous message. Not quite
            > with it today. Take 2:
            >
            > An observation I made suggests that ODD composite nos can be
            > described in one of two ways:
            >
            > - composite(odd): divisible by 3,5 or 7
            >
            > or
            >
            > - composite(odd): product of a prime no AND a no. indivisible by
            > 3,5 or 7.

            Umm well ok. Same response. What about 539? Or 275? Or 325? Or
            455? Or 357? And so on, and so on....

            Odd numbers are:

            - Divisible by one of 3,5 or 7,

            or

            - Divisible by none of 3,5 or 7.

            And that's it. Will you please let go of this idea that 3,5,7 are
            somehow more important? They're not, they're just small primes.

            Andy