Re: [PrimeNumbers] Twin Prime Gaps

  • Andy Swallow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 12:54 PM
      > Does the law of averages state that given a twin prime, the gap (no primes)
      > between either the lower prime and the previous prime, or the higher prime
      > and the next larger prime, is unbounded?

      What do you mean? Regardless of the twin prime conjecture (is your proof
      published?), elementary reasoning shows that there exist infinitely
      large gaps between primes. There is nothing to suggest that these large
      gaps would occur around a twin prime pair, however. Known results are
      never that specific.

      Andy
    • Andy Swallow
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4 4:43 AM
        > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/twinprimeconjecture/twinprimec
        > onjecture.htm
        >
        > proves that there are an infinite number of twin primes, so I expect the
        > answer to be positive, but hence, what twin primes are the record breakers?

        Regarding this proof. So you proceed to derive the necessary form of an
        integer that has at least one odd anti divisor, and produce these nice
        symmetric equations involving a and k. Fair enough.

        But can you explain the last part to me? The bit starting with "all the 'k' can only copy the values of 'a'...". I'm afraid it makes no sense to me at all.
        Surely you don't mean take a=k?

        Andy