Twin Prime Gaps

  • Jon Perry
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
      Always 2...

      Remind me to ask a comedian...

      Does the law of averages state that given a twin prime, the gap (no primes)
      between either the lower prime and the previous prime, or the higher prime
      and the next larger prime, is unbounded?

      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/twinprimeconjecture/twinprimec
      onjecture.htm

      proves that there are an infinite number of twin primes, so I expect the
      answer to be positive, but hence, what twin primes are the record breakers?

      Jon Perry
      perry@...
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/DIVMenu/
      BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
      http://www.brainbench.com
    • Andy Swallow
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
        > Does the law of averages state that given a twin prime, the gap (no primes)
        > between either the lower prime and the previous prime, or the higher prime
        > and the next larger prime, is unbounded?

        What do you mean? Regardless of the twin prime conjecture (is your proof
        published?), elementary reasoning shows that there exist infinitely
        large gaps between primes. There is nothing to suggest that these large
        gaps would occur around a twin prime pair, however. Known results are
        never that specific.

        Andy
      • Andy Swallow
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/twinprimeconjecture/twinprimec
          > onjecture.htm
          >
          > proves that there are an infinite number of twin primes, so I expect the
          > answer to be positive, but hence, what twin primes are the record breakers?

          Regarding this proof. So you proceed to derive the necessary form of an
          integer that has at least one odd anti divisor, and produce these nice
          symmetric equations involving a and k. Fair enough.

          But can you explain the last part to me? The bit starting with "all the 'k' can only copy the values of 'a'...". I'm afraid it makes no sense to me at all.
          Surely you don't mean take a=k?

          Andy