RE: [PrimeNumbers] Factoring n

  • Jon Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2003
      'If a number N is believed to be prime, and one has at least 30%
      of the factorization of N-1, it is then straightforward to prove
      whether N is prime.

      With this sole exception (proving that the prime factorization
      of N is just N) I know of nothing that makes factorization of
      N any easier if one knows the partial factorization of N-1.
      If it did, we would find Fermat numbers much easier to factor
      than they actually are: we know the complete factorization of
      N-1 in that case.'

      So are you saying there are no more Fermat Primes?

      Jon Perry
      perry@...
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/DIVMenu/