Re: Prime Number Progresions

  • Mark Underwood
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3, 2003
      Hi Virginia

      Your 29 consecutive prime sequence is very good. I wonder what
      equation it is expressed by?

      Just in the last week Gary Chaffey reported that the equation
      2*x^2-88*x+997 generates 51 primes from x=0 to x= 50.

      Then Dr. Michael Hartley noticed that the same equation can be
      slightly modified to produce 57 primes from x=0 to x=56 :

      2*t^2-112*t+1597

      Amazing! I'm not sure if there are any which are longer. I had
      thought that the one Euler discovered was the longest and was proven
      to be the longest of it's kind, but I guess not? Perhaps with Gary's
      sequence the primes are not all distinct, I'm not sure.

      Mark

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, ginnyw@a... wrote:
      > Mark,
      >
      > Thank you for your email. The progressions are the ordinary
      arithmetic type.
      > One of the progressions of 11 primes is:
      > 17 add 44 = 61
      > 61 add 88 = 149
      > 149 add 132 = 281
      > 281 add 176 = 457 and continuing for 6 more terms until a nonprime
      2921 is
      > reached.
      >
      > My program uses a constant to search for the progressions. I
      started with
      > pencil and paper and then wrote the program. Except for the
      progression which
      > generates 40 primes, the largest progression I have to date
      generates 29
      > primes. Perhaps that might be a record. Most of the progressions
      are with small
      > numbers because of the limitations of my computer.
      >
      > Virginia W.

    • Mark Underwood
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2003
        I checked and it turns out that Gary's equation generates (only!) 29
        *distinct* primes out of the 56, as it doubles back on itself.

        I'm curious now Viriginia whether your 29er is the same!

        Mark

        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Underwood"

      • ginnyw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2003
          Mark,

          The progression of 29 primes I found starts with 31.
          31 add 12 = 43
          43 add 24 = 67
          67 add 36 = 103
          103 add 48 = 151
          151 add 60 = 211 -

          This continues for 29 primes. The last prime is 4903.

          Thank you for doing the research. I'd like to know if it is the same one.

          Virginia

        • Mark Underwood
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2003
            Hi Virginia

            Yours is of the form 6x^2 + 6x + 31, generating primes from x=0 to
            x=28.

            Interestingly, Gary's (2x^2 -88x + 997) generates 29 distinct primes
            as well but is a different equation than yours.

            I just figured that Gary's equation can be reduced to 2x^2 + 29 to
            generate his 29 distinct primes from x=0 to x=28 !

            Mark

            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, ginnyw@a... wrote:
            > Mark,
            >
            > The progression of 29 primes I found starts with 31.
            > 31 add 12 = 43
            > 43 add 24 = 67
            > 67 add 36 = 103
            > 103 add 48 = 151
            > 151 add 60 = 211 -
            >
            > This continues for 29 primes. The last prime is 4903.
            >
            > Thank you for doing the research. I'd like to know if it is the
            same one.

            > Virginia

          • Gary Chaffey
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2003
              Its nice to know that i'm not the only one looking at
              these sequences.
              I think and i will need to check I have an improvement
              on the sequence below. Generating 60 primes (but like
              the sequence below it doubles up and only has 30
              distinct primes). I will look this up at home then
              post it.
              I have been looking at various polynomials and have
              notices something quite unusual.
              For quadratic polynomials runs of 20+ distinct primes
              are quite common. But for cubic polynomials I have yet
              to find a run>20 distinct primes. I am aware that the
              cubic increases faster therefore each value is less
              likely to be prime but I'm wondering if there is
              anything else affecting the polynomial.
              Eulers record of x^2+x+41 was beaten by Fung and Ruby
              with 36x^2-810x+2753
              See:-
              http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeGeneratingPolynomial.html

              I am certain that a polynomial of the form ax^2+bx+c
              can be found that beats this record but it means
              searching a hell of a lot of polnomials!!!
              Gary

              --- Mark Underwood <mark.underwood@...>
              wrote: > Hi Virginia

              > Your 29 consecutive prime sequence is very good. I
              > wonder what
              > equation it is expressed by?
              >
              > Just in the last week Gary Chaffey reported that the
              > equation
              > 2*x^2-88*x+997 generates 51 primes from x=0 to x=
              > 50.
              >
              > Then Dr. Michael Hartley noticed that the same
              > equation can be
              > slightly modified to produce 57 primes from x=0 to
              > x=56 :
              >
              > 2*t^2-112*t+1597
              >
              > Amazing! I'm not sure if there are any which are
              > longer. I had
              > thought that the one Euler discovered was the
              > longest and was proven
              > to be the longest of it's kind, but I guess not?
              > Perhaps with Gary's
              > sequence the primes are not all distinct, I'm not
              > sure.
              >
              > Mark
              >

              > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, ginnyw@a...
              > wrote:
              > > Mark,
              > >
              > > Thank you for your email. The progressions are
              > the ordinary
              > arithmetic type.
              > > One of the progressions of 11 primes is:
              > > 17 add 44 = 61
              > > 61 add 88 = 149
              > > 149 add 132 = 281
              > > 281 add 176 = 457 and continuing for 6 more terms
              > until a nonprime
              > 2921 is
              > > reached.
              > >
              > > My program uses a constant to search for the
              > progressions. I
              > started with
              > > pencil and paper and then wrote the program.
              > Except for the
              > progression which
              > > generates 40 primes, the largest progression I
              > have to date
              > generates 29
              > > primes. Perhaps that might be a record. Most of
              > the progressions
              > are with small
              > > numbers because of the limitations of my computer.
              > >
              > > Virginia W.

              > removed]

            • Gary Chaffey
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2003
                --- ginnyw@... wrote: > Mark,

                > The progression of 29 primes I found starts with 31.
                > 31 add 12 = 43
                > 43 add 24 = 67
                > 67 add 36 = 103
                > 103 add 48 = 151
                > 151 add 60 = 211 -
                >
                > This continues for 29 primes. The last prime is
                > 4903.
                >
                > Thank you for doing the research. I'd like to know
                > if it is the same one.

                No it isn't the same sequence this one can be
                expressed as 6x^2+6x+31 for x in 0..28
                but certainly of equal merit.
                Gary

              • ginnyw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2003
                  Mark, Gary,

                  The equations are very helpful. Thank you. It is Interesting that the two
                  progressions start at 29 and 31 and generate 29 primes each. This seems to
                  happen often. Another progression starting with 11 generates 10 primes; another
                  starting with 17 generates 16 primes, etc. I am interested in hearing more
                  about your work and plan to change my program based on our discussion.

                  Virginia

                • Gary Chaffey
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                    > I just figured that Gary's equation can be reduced
                    > to 2x^2 + 29 to
                    > generate his 29 distinct primes from x=0 to x=28 !
                    >
                    > Mark
                    I have just spotted this too.. make y=x-22...(is this
                    the transformation you have spotted Mark???)
                    Gary

                  • Mark Underwood
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                      Right Gary, I guess that would be the transformation. Actually I just
                      checked out the progression in the sequence starting with 29, 31,
                      37 ... and it was easy to see it was of this form. I now see from

                      http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Prime-GeneratingPolynomial.html

                      that Legendre is the first reported to have seen this one. Perhaps
                      2x^2 + 29 generates the longest sequence of consecutive primes of any
                      two term equation.

                      And I see that Virginia's sequence of primes is reported in the
                      Encyclopedia on Integer Sequences as sequence A060834.

                      The Mathworld link above has alot of informative things to say about
                      the matter. (Virginia would like to read this!) I agree with you Gary
                      that there are other polynomials out there that can generate even
                      longer sequences. How to cleverly find them, that is the question.

                      But for expressions of the form x^2 + x + p there is no need to look
                      for a longer one since it has been shown that p = 41 generates the
                      longest one.

                      Mark

                      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Gary Chaffey <garychaffey@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > > I just figured that Gary's equation can be reduced
                      > > to 2x^2 + 29 to
                      > > generate his 29 distinct primes from x=0 to x=28 !
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                      > I have just spotted this too.. make y=x-22...(is this
                      > the transformation you have spotted Mark???)
                      > Gary

                      __
                      > Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE
                      Yahoo!
                      > Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/
                    • jbrennen
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                        --- Mark Underwood wrote:

                        > Perhaps 2x^2 + 29 generates the longest sequence of consecutive
                        > primes of any two term equation.

                        If you believe the first Hardy-Littlewood Conjecture (also known
                        as the k-tuple Conjecture), there exist arbitrarily long sequences
                        of primes from two term equations.

                        > But for expressions of the form x^2 + x + p there is no need to
                        > look for a longer one since it has been shown that p = 41
                        > generates the longest one.

                        Again, the same conjecture implies that arbitrarily long sequences
                        of primes exist of the form x^2+x+p.

                        What has been shown is that p=41 is the largest prime such that
                        x^2+x+p is prime for all x, 0 <= x <= p-2.

                        It has not been shown that x^2+x+p is never prime for 0 <= x <= 40.
                      • Gary Chaffey
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                          > > Perhaps 2x^2 + 29 generates the longest sequence
                          > of consecutive
                          > > primes of any two term equation.
                          >
                          > If you believe the first Hardy-Littlewood Conjecture
                          > (also known
                          > as the k-tuple Conjecture), there exist arbitrarily
                          > long sequences
                          > of primes from two term equations.

                          If we restrict to two term equations then it can't be
                          of the form 2x^2+p since of a proof (referred to on
                          Wolfram site) which shows that this type of sequence
                          can only yield 29 primes.
                          This implies we must look at ax^2+p for a>2. What
                          would be interesting is to rule out some more values
                          for a. I might look at this if I get some spare time.
                          Gary

                        • Mark Underwood
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                            Thanks for the correction Jack, I would not have discerned that
                            difference from what I read unless it was pointed out.

                            I remember the Hardy-Littlewood k tuple Conjecture but I never did
                            connect it to polynominals.

                            Whether the k tuple conjucture is true, I guess I believe it with a
                            condition, which is that the tuple does not occur if it does not
                            occur early on, or something like that...

                            Mark

                            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "jbrennen" <jack@b...> wrote:
                            > --- Mark Underwood wrote:
                            >
                            > > Perhaps 2x^2 + 29 generates the longest sequence of consecutive
                            > > primes of any two term equation.
                            >
                            > If you believe the first Hardy-Littlewood Conjecture (also known
                            > as the k-tuple Conjecture), there exist arbitrarily long sequences
                            > of primes from two term equations.
                            >
                            > > But for expressions of the form x^2 + x + p there is no need to
                            > > look for a longer one since it has been shown that p = 41
                            > > generates the longest one.
                            >
                            > Again, the same conjecture implies that arbitrarily long sequences
                            > of primes exist of the form x^2+x+p.
                            >
                            > What has been shown is that p=41 is the largest prime such that
                            > x^2+x+p is prime for all x, 0 <= x <= p-2.
                            >
                            > It has not been shown that x^2+x+p is never prime for 0 <= x <= 40.
                          • Shane
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                              > Whether the k tuple conjucture is true, I guess I believe it with
                              > condition, which is that the tuple does not occur if it does not
                              > occur early on, or something like that...
                              >
                              > Mark

                              Why would it have to occur early?
                            • Mark Underwood
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                                Hi Shane

                                Well I figure that if the tuple doesn't occur early, it is for some
                                reason. It would fail at higher numbers for the same reason, or a
                                generalization of that reason. If there is a counterexample I will
                                gladly eat my hat! I'll make sure I'm wearing chocolate hats from
                                here on in...

                                Mark

                                --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <TTcreation@a...> wrote:
                                > > Whether the k tuple conjucture is true, I guess I believe it
                                with
                                > > condition, which is that the tuple does not occur if it does not
                                > > occur early on, or something like that...
                                > >
                                > > Mark
                                > >

                                > Why would it have to occur early?
                              • Robert
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003

                                  > > > But for expressions of the form x^2 + x + p there is no need to
                                  > > > look for a longer one since it has been shown that p = 41
                                  > > > generates the longest one.
                                  > >
                                  > > Again, the same conjecture implies that arbitrarily long
                                  sequences
                                  > > of primes exist of the form x^2+x+p.
                                  > >
                                  > > What has been shown is that p=41 is the largest prime such that
                                  > > x^2+x+p is prime for all x, 0 <= x <= p-2.
                                  > >
                                  > > It has not been shown that x^2+x+p is never prime for 0 <= x <=
                                  40.

                                  Surely all one has to do is find a c in the equation x^2+x+c for
                                  which the following conditions apply:

                                  2+c not divisible by 2, 3, 5
                                  and, 2+c meets all of:

                                  1,5,6 mod 7
                                  3,6,8,9,10 mod 11
                                  1,3,4,5,6,7,10 mod 13
                                  1,3,4,5,8,9,10,12 mod 17
                                  4,5,8,11,12,13,14,16,18 mod 19
                                  1,3,9,10,11,12,14,16,17,20,21 mod 23
                                  3,5,6,7,9,10,12,13,14,16,21,22,26,27 mod 29
                                  4,7,11,12,14,15,17,18,19,20,24,26,28,29,30 mod 31
                                  1,6,7,8,10,11,12,13,15,16,17,22,24,25,28,32,35,36 mod 37
                                  3,4,5,6,7,9,11,14,16,18,19,20,21,22,26,27,30,36,39,40 mod 41
                                  1,5,6,8,10,11,14,17,19,22,23,24,26,27,28,29,30,34,36,37,38 mod 43

                                  c=41 is the first number to reach all of the conditions except the
                                  last, being 1mod7, 10mod11, 4mod13....but 0mod43

                                  Regards

                                  Robert Smith

                                  PS I may have gotten some of the register above incorrect, but
                                  someone will spot an error if I have made one. Thats what I like
                                  about you Primenumbers group.

                                  PPS 2+c = x^2+x+c with x=1

                                  PPPS this is the same logic as used in the determination of Payam
                                  numbers
                                • Robert
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                                    --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <100620.2351@c...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > > Again, the same conjecture implies that arbitrarily long
                                    > sequences
                                    > > > of primes exist of the form x^2+x+p.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > What has been shown is that p=41 is the largest prime such that
                                    > > > x^2+x+p is prime for all x, 0 <= x <= p-2.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It has not been shown that x^2+x+p is never prime for 0 <= x
                                    <=
                                    > 40.
                                    >
                                    > Surely all one has to do is find a c in the equation x^2+x+c for
                                    > which the following conditions apply:
                                    >
                                    > 2+c not divisible by 2, 3, 5
                                    > and, 2+c meets all of:
                                    >
                                    > 1,5,6 mod 7
                                    > 3,6,8,9,10 mod 11
                                    > 1,3,4,5,6,7,10 mod 13
                                    > 1,3,4,5,8,9,10,12 mod 17
                                    > 4,5,8,11,12,13,14,16,18 mod 19
                                    > 1,3,9,10,11,12,14,16,17,20,21 mod 23
                                    > 3,5,6,7,9,10,12,13,14,16,21,22,26,27 mod 29
                                    > 4,7,11,12,14,15,17,18,19,20,24,26,28,29,30 mod 31
                                    > 1,6,7,8,10,11,12,13,15,16,17,22,24,25,28,32,35,36 mod 37
                                    > 3,4,5,6,7,9,11,14,16,18,19,20,21,22,26,27,30,36,39,40 mod 41
                                    > 1,5,6,8,10,11,14,17,19,22,23,24,26,27,28,29,30,34,36,37,38 mod 43
                                    >
                                    > c=41 is the first number to reach all of the conditions except the
                                    > last, being 1mod7, 10mod11, 4mod13....but 0mod43
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    >
                                    > Robert Smith
                                    >
                                    > PS I may have gotten some of the register above incorrect, but
                                    > someone will spot an error if I have made one. Thats what I like
                                    > about you Primenumbers group.
                                    >
                                    > PPS 2+c = x^2+x+c with x=1
                                    >
                                    > PPPS this is the same logic as used in the determination of Payam
                                    > numbers
                                    #
                                    Oops, I forgot to mention that the value of c, which contributes to
                                    a run of >41 primes, must also clear similar mod n hurdles up to
                                    sqrt c
                                  • Robert
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 5, 2003
                                      wrote:
                                      > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <100620.2351@c...>

                                      > > sequences

                                      > <=
                                      > > 40.
                                      > >
                                      > > Surely all one has to do is find a c in the equation x^2+x+c for
                                      > > which the following conditions apply:
                                      > >
                                      > > 2+c not divisible by 2, 3, 5
                                      > > and, 2+c meets all of:
                                      > >
                                      > > 1,5,6 mod 7
                                      > > 3,6,8,9,10 mod 11
                                      > > 1,3,4,5,6,7,10 mod 13
                                      > > 1,3,4,5,8,9,10,12 mod 17
                                      > > 4,5,8,11,12,13,14,16,18 mod 19
                                      > > 1,3,9,10,11,12,14,16,17,20,21 mod 23
                                      > > 3,5,6,7,9,10,12,13,14,16,21,22,26,27 mod 29
                                      > > 4,7,11,12,14,15,17,18,19,20,24,26,28,29,30 mod 31
                                      > > 1,6,7,8,10,11,12,13,15,16,17,22,24,25,28,32,35,36 mod 37
                                      > > 3,4,5,6,7,9,11,14,16,18,19,20,21,22,26,27,30,36,39,40 mod 41
                                      > > 1,5,6,8,10,11,14,17,19,22,23,24,26,27,28,29,30,34,36,37,38 mod 43
                                      > >
                                      > > c=41 is the first number to reach all of the conditions except
                                      the
                                      > > last, being 1mod7, 10mod11, 4mod13....but 0mod43
                                      > >
                                      > > Regards
                                      > >
                                      > > Robert Smith
                                      > >
                                      > > PS I may have gotten some of the register above incorrect, but
                                      > > someone will spot an error if I have made one. Thats what I like
                                      > > about you Primenumbers group.
                                      > >
                                      > > PPS 2+c = x^2+x+c with x=1
                                      > >
                                      > > PPPS this is the same logic as used in the determination of
                                      Payam
                                      > > numbers
                                      > #
                                      > Oops, I forgot to mention that the value of c, which contributes
                                      > a run of >41 primes, must also clear similar mod n hurdles up to
                                      > sqrt c

                                      #### Now I have had a glass of wine, (Merlot) I see that what I have
                                      pointed to above relates to (contributes to the thinking behind) the
                                      statement

                                      #### OK who proved that one? It seems intuitively non-provable, or
                                      only provable by a lot of computer processing. But what do I know?

                                      I think I prefer the statement:

                                      > > sequences

                                      That is something the list of hurdles might contribute to.

                                      #### but the list of hurdles, etc does not contribute to the last
                                      statement

                                      > <=
                                      > > 40.

                                      Sorry for the confusion

                                      Regards

                                      Robert Smith
                                    • Gary Chaffey
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 6, 2003
                                        wrote: >
                                        > Thanks for the correction Jack, I would not have
                                        > discerned that
                                        > difference from what I read unless it was pointed
                                        > out.
                                        Ditto. I had not noticed this either.
                                        I am somewhat sceptical that a polynomial of the form
                                        2x^2+p will be found (soon) that yields primes for all
                                        x in [0..29].
                                        I have looked at p upto 3.10^7 and as of yet nothing
                                        gets anywhere close. (best so far x in [0..9]).
                                        I am however going to look a bit deeper.
                                        Gary

                                      • Paul Jobling
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 6, 2003
                                          Gary,

                                          > I am somewhat sceptical that a polynomial of the form
                                          > 2x^2+p will be found (soon) that yields primes for all
                                          > x in [0..29].
                                          > I have looked at p up to 3.10^7 and as of yet nothing
                                          > gets anywhere close. (best so far x in [0..9]).
                                          > I am however going to look a bit deeper.

                                          I have just sieved up to 10^14 with nothing being found. The best was
                                          45077834116589, which generated 18 primes for x in [0..29]. The runtime was
                                          395 seconds on this 450 MHz PIII.

                                          Regards,

                                          Paul.