Re: [PrimeNumbers] Hepme plzzz

  • Jose Ramón Brox
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2003
      This link is useful to learn the basics and the fundamental functions and theorems, in order:

      http://www.glasgowg43.freeserve.co.uk/primefaq.htm

      Of course, the Prime Glossary of Chris Caldwell is one of my preferred consulting sites:

      http://primes.utm.edu/glossary/

      (the main page is http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/ )

      Mathworld is also a good database, but more to remember things and to learn very specific subjects:

      www.mathworld.wolfram.com

      Now follows a list of basic terms/results you should learn about:

      About divisors:

      Prime number, composite number, prime factors, factors/divisors, great common divisor, Euclidean Algorithm, coprimes, Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, phi (or totient) Euler function.

      About distribution and several forms of primes:

      Pi function, Prime Number Theorem (PNT for short), twin primes, Brun's constant, Bertrand Postulate, Mersenne primes, Fermat primes, Ulam Spiral, primes in arithmetic progression.

      About finding primes and proving primality:

      Primorial numbers, Sieve of Erathostenes, modulo arithmetic and congruences, wheel factorization, primes formulas, Fermat's Little Theorem, primality testing, primality certificate, probable prime (PRP), Carmichael number, GIMPS

      About factorising:

      Factorization, complexity of an algorithm, trial division, quadratic sieve, elliptic curves, RSA

      Other:

      Goldbach Conjecture, perfect numbers, Law of Small Numbers, Chinese Remainder Theorem, crackpot's usual results

      Feel free to write me in private if you want to talk about any of these subjects.

      Jose Brox
      http://espanol.groups.yahoo.com/group/Telecomunicacion/