Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: primes and John Harrison

  • Jose Ramón Brox
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9 3:31 AM
      Hello:

      I don't know if I missunderstood what you wanted to say, but...

      the fact that every prime is either in 6n+1 or 6n-1 is trivial, watching at the residues modulo 6: 6n,6n+2,6n+4 = 2·(3n),2·(3n+1),2·(3n+2) ; 6n+3 = 3·(2n+1) ... the residues 0,2,3,4 can't generate primes because they actually become in composite numbers. This only gives us the residues 1,5 to generate the primes (but of course they also bring a lot of composites).

      I think you are computing something similar to the Erathostenes Sieve (as Dècio said), but I'll wait to see your base theory.

      Good luck, Jose Brox