Re: my elementary method and Perry's /Goldbach's conjectures

  • antonioveloz2
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Swallow"
      <umistphd2003@y...> wrote:

      > Your proof is a bit difficult to follow, so I can't comment much.
      But it
      > seems extremely suspicious that the Omega function should appear
      like that
      > in theorem 1.
      >
      > But surely someone's proved Perry's "conjecture" already...?
      >
      > Surely?!?
      >
      > Andy
    • antonioveloz2
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
        <umistphd2003@y...> wrote:

        > Your proof is a bit difficult to follow, so I can't comment much.
        But it
        > seems extremely suspicious that the Omega function should appear
        like that
        > in theorem 1.
        >
        > But surely someone's proved Perry's "conjecture" already...?
        >
        > Surely?!?
        >
        > Andy

        Sorry about the last post.

        I actually meant to print the following.

        We are considering the sentence p(x)t(x) and its associated sum.
        Define t'(x) as t'(x)={1 if t(x) = 0 and 0 otherwise. So now t'(x)
        equals 1 iff (x,n)>1 and t(x) + t'(x) = 1 for all x in Sn.

        Now p(x)t(x) is equivalent to p(x)(1-t'(x)) is equivalent to
        p(x) - p(x)t'(x) for all x in Sn

        If we sum over x then
        Sum(p(x)) = Pi(n-3)-1 the odd primes p <= n-3

        Sum(p(x)t'(x)) = Omega(n) - 1
        because t'(x) equals 1 iff (n,p)>1 which implies that p|n but we
        subtract 1 because since n is even 2|n and we only want the odd prime
        divisors since p(x)=0 if x is equal to 2.

        I believe that a simple formula for the Goldbachian partition
        function will depend on Omega(n) but I am not ready to conjecture
        such a result.

        Thanks for looking over my post.
      • Richard Traynham
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
          So, what's next: Politically Correct Maths?

          Personally I *hate* PDF. Hmmm (muses to self: I
          wonder what Pytho and Archie used... PDF, HTML,
          UML, ....?)

          Fav counter example: consider a set X | X contains
          phi and all sets which do not (by definition) contain
          phi.

          NOTES:

          phi == {} == the empty set.

          =========== (later froods, off to scarf down a
          couple more hot dogs) btw, Barry White died :(

          ====================================== --30--
          (the overt memo follows)

          To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
          From: "Andy Swallow" <umistphd2003@...> |
          This is spam | Add to Address Book
          Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 23:14:47 +0100
          Subject: Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: my elementary method
          and Perry's /Goldbach's conjectures

          Hey, its ok, I was only half serious. It's difficult
          to set it out in plain
          text anyway!

          Andy