Re: [PrimeNumbers] my elementary method and Perry's /Goldbach's conjectures

  • Andy Swallow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
      Your proof is a bit difficult to follow, so I can't comment much. But it
      seems extremely suspicious that the Omega function should appear like that
      in theorem 1.

      But surely someone's proved Perry's "conjecture" already...?

      Surely?!?

      Andy
    • antonioveloz2
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Swallow"
        <umistphd2003@y...> wrote:

        > Your proof is a bit difficult to follow, so I can't comment much.
        But it
        > seems extremely suspicious that the Omega function should appear
        like that
        > in theorem 1.
        >
        > But surely someone's proved Perry's "conjecture" already...?
        >
        > Surely?!?
        >
        > Andy
      • antonioveloz2
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
          <umistphd2003@y...> wrote:

          > Your proof is a bit difficult to follow, so I can't comment much.
          But it
          > seems extremely suspicious that the Omega function should appear
          like that
          > in theorem 1.
          >
          > But surely someone's proved Perry's "conjecture" already...?
          >
          > Surely?!?
          >
          > Andy

          Sorry about the last post.

          I actually meant to print the following.

          We are considering the sentence p(x)t(x) and its associated sum.
          Define t'(x) as t'(x)={1 if t(x) = 0 and 0 otherwise. So now t'(x)
          equals 1 iff (x,n)>1 and t(x) + t'(x) = 1 for all x in Sn.

          Now p(x)t(x) is equivalent to p(x)(1-t'(x)) is equivalent to
          p(x) - p(x)t'(x) for all x in Sn

          If we sum over x then
          Sum(p(x)) = Pi(n-3)-1 the odd primes p <= n-3

          Sum(p(x)t'(x)) = Omega(n) - 1
          because t'(x) equals 1 iff (n,p)>1 which implies that p|n but we
          subtract 1 because since n is even 2|n and we only want the odd prime
          divisors since p(x)=0 if x is equal to 2.

          I believe that a simple formula for the Goldbachian partition
          function will depend on Omega(n) but I am not ready to conjecture
          such a result.

          Thanks for looking over my post.
        • Richard Traynham
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
            So, what's next: Politically Correct Maths?

            Personally I *hate* PDF. Hmmm (muses to self: I
            wonder what Pytho and Archie used... PDF, HTML,
            UML, ....?)

            Fav counter example: consider a set X | X contains
            phi and all sets which do not (by definition) contain
            phi.

            NOTES:

            phi == {} == the empty set.

            =========== (later froods, off to scarf down a
            couple more hot dogs) btw, Barry White died :(

            ====================================== --30--
            (the overt memo follows)

            To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
            From: "Andy Swallow" <umistphd2003@...> |
            This is spam | Add to Address Book
            Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 23:14:47 +0100
            Subject: Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: my elementary method
            and Perry's /Goldbach's conjectures

            Hey, its ok, I was only half serious. It's difficult
            to set it out in plain
            text anyway!

            Andy