RE: [PrimeNumbers] Prime Pages will be out this Saturday

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2003
      > From: Chris Caldwell [mailto:caldwell@...]

      > My university will be off-line this Saturday while they hook up
      > the computer center's new diesel generator (to keep things
      > running durng
      > long outages). It is suppose to be done in less that 24 hours...

      It has been my experience over many years and at a number of institutions that maintenance and testing on a UPS causes more downtime than the UPS ever prevents during its entire lifetime.

      The UPS situation over the last 6 months here at MSR Cambridge has fully borne this out. We've had three periods of downtime, each lasting several hours, to perform tests and fix the faults thereby discovered.

      Not much to do with primes, sorry.

      Paul