Re: [PrimeNumbers] Vedic Factoring

  • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho

      On Wednesday 04 June 2003 05:09, Jon Perry wrote:
      > From;
      >
      > http://vedmaths.tripod.com/frame.htm
      >
      > click Lessons on the left, then Multiplication in the main page, and then
      > Nikhilam.
      >
      > As RSA numbers fall into this scheme of things, does this algorithm have
      > any practical use?

      Of course not, as is the default answer to most of the things you either come
      up with, reinvent and claim to be your own, or find out about in the darkest
      corners of the web and give pointers to.

      The fact that two numbers were randomly chosen in the same range doesn't mean
      that they're close to each other. Take two 5 digit numbers x,y chosen at
      random, for instance. That means 10000 <= x,y < 100000. The likelihood that
      the most significant digits of x,y differ by at most 1 is small -- just use a
      counting argument, there are 81 possibilities in total and the pairs that
      work out are {1,2}, {2,3}, {3,4}, {4,5}, {5,6}, {6,7}, {7,8}, {8,9}, {2,1},
      {3,2}, {4,3}, {5,4}, {6,5}, {7,6}, {8,7}, {9,8} or 16 possibilities. That
      means less than 20% of all 5-digit numbers match this constraint. Those that
      don't match are guaranteed to have x-y > 10000, which you'll agree to me is
      not close to one another at all. If you apply this argument recursively,
      you'll realize all but a vanishingly small set of random numbers in
      sufficiently large ranges are close together.

      Décio