Re: [PrimeNumbers] Probable 40th Mersenne

  • George Woltman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
      At 11:42 AM 6/3/2003 +0100, Jon Perry wrote:
      >Still no new news at www.mersenne.org.

      Ernst Mayer is doing a double-check that is expected to complete
      sometime around the 21st.
    • cite13083
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2003
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Perry" <perry@g...> wrote:
        > Is it not relatively simple to double check whether prime or not -
        simply
        > add the divisors and see if the result is 2n?

        Perhaps you've confused Mersenne primes with their associated perfect
        numbers.

        Exercise: How many proper divisors does the 39th perfect number have?
      • Jon Perry
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2003
          'Exercise: How many proper divisors does the 39th perfect number have? '

          Impossible to say;

          http://www.mersenne.org/status.htm

          Jon Perry
          perry@...
          http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/
          http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/DIVMenu/
          BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
          http://www.brainbench.com
        • Jack Brennen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2003
            > 'Exercise: How many proper divisors does the 39th perfect number have? '
            >
            > Impossible to say;
            >
            > http://www.mersenne.org/status.htm

            Actually, it's impossible to say, but you won't find out why at
            that link...

            Nobody knows whether the 39th perfect number is even. Indeed, nobody
            knows whether the 19th perfect number is even.

            It would be a safe conjecture that there are no odd perfect numbers,
            but it hasn't been proven. I know that it has been proven that there
            are no odd perfect numbers < 10^300, so certainly the first 12
            perfect numbers are known with certainty.
          • Jon Perry
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2003
              I was assuming the 'no odd perfect' conjecture to be true, in the sense that
              you have assumed it to be false. In which case, it is impossible to say via
              the link I gave.

              Jon Perry
              perry@...
              http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/
              http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/DIVMenu/
              BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
              http://www.brainbench.com

              > 'Exercise: How many proper divisors does the 39th perfect number have? '
              >
              > Impossible to say;
              >
              > http://www.mersenne.org/status.htm

              Actually, it's impossible to say, but you won't find out why at
              that link...

              Nobody knows whether the 39th perfect number is even. Indeed, nobody
              knows whether the 19th perfect number is even.

              It would be a safe conjecture that there are no odd perfect numbers,
              but it hasn't been proven. I know that it has been proven that there
              are no odd perfect numbers < 10^300, so certainly the first 12
              perfect numbers are known with certainty.

            • Nathan Russell
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2003
                --On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 8:36 PM +0000 cite13083
                <cite13083@...> wrote:

                > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Perry" <perry@g...> wrote:
                >> Is it not relatively simple to double check whether prime or not -
                > simply
                >> add the divisors and see if the result is 2n?
                >
                > Perhaps you've confused Mersenne primes with their associated perfect
                > numbers.

                Perfect numbers are never prime - all prime numbers are deficient. This is
                a pretty stupid way to check for perfect prime numbers - especially since
                it is likely that all perfect numbers are even, and with an exception even
                numbers are not prime.

                > Exercise: How many proper divisors does the 39th perfect number have?

                I assume you are referring to the 39th known perfect number, which is the
                39th, or possibly 40th or 41st, even perfect number. The number in
                question is 2^13466916(2^13466917 - 1)

                It has 13466917*2-1 proper divisors - we can have any number of factors of
                2, from 0 to 13466916, either with or without the megaprime. Note that
                when we have no 2's, and no megaprime, we have the perfectly valid divisor
                of 1. When we have all possible factors, we have the number itself, thus
                the -1.

                As a simpler illustration, take the perfect number 2^2*(2^3-1). It has 2
                proper divisors with and 3 without the prime
                2^3-1 - respectively, 1, 2, 4 and 7, 14. Thus the total is 2*3-1 - again,
                1 less than twice the original exponent.

                Is this correct?

                Nathan
              • Jud McCranie
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2003
                  At 03:33 AM 6/12/2003, Jon Perry wrote:
                  >I was assuming the 'no odd perfect' conjecture to be true, in the sense that
                  >you have assumed it to be false. In which case, it is impossible to say via
                  >the link I gave.

                  It is very easy to say about the 39th largest one currently known.