Re: Did you say problem?

  • Andrey Kulsha
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
      Hello!

      When Windows crashes and computer reboots, Scandisk
      automatically deletes all report files because they have
      incorrect size. So we must set "AutoScan=0" option in
      MSDOS.SYS file.

      However, there is much better way to solve this problem.
      Titanix may close report files until the next test will be
      passed, then append the report, write some info and close it
      again, and so on. As I see, this way is implemented in PFGW.

      Best wishes,

      Andrey
    • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
        Andrey Kulsha wrote:
        > So we must set "AutoScan=0" option in
        > MSDOS.SYS file.
        Better yet is "BootGUI=0"
        and then clean up yourself,
        using a sane tool from Norton,
        before abandoning control with
        > Win
      • Andrey Kulsha
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
          Hello!

          David Broadhurst wrote:
          >> So we must set "AutoScan=0" option in
          >> MSDOS.SYS file.
          >Better yet is "BootGUI=0"
          >and then clean up yourself,
          >using a sane tool from Norton,
          >before abandoning control with
          >> Win

          I've just meant a situation when computer reboots without
          our control (e.g., we are sleep, and Windoze has gluked).

          Andrey
        • Andrey Kulsha
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
            Hello!

            Marcel Martin wrote:

            >>However, there is much better way to solve this problem.
            >>Titanix may close report files until the next test will be
            >>passed, then append the report, write some info and close
            it
            >>again, and so on.
            >
            >Are you sure I can ask to all Titanix users to do that with
            the
            >executables that are running on their systems?

            Hmmm... I can't understand the question. What must Titanix
            users to do with the executables?

            AFAIK, the filesize of "0" and copy-error happen when the
            file is opened for write. Titanix (2.1.1 maybe) can close
            report files immediately after writing current test info to
            them, and then append only when the next test will be
            passed.

            So:
            1) we'll be able to make a reserve copy of certificate in
            any time when file is closed (i.e., almost always);
            2) if Windoze suddenly reboot, Scandisk won't delete
            clusters with certificate info, because the .out-file was
            closed and hence had correct size.

            Best wishes,

            Andrey
          • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
              Andrey Kulsha wrote:
              > I've just meant a situation when computer reboots without
              > our control
              Well my computer would never dare to do that.
              It knows that I would shoot it:-)
              I repeat: control freaks should set
              BootGUI=0
              David
            • Barubary
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
                Why not take the prime95 approach to this? Every so often, save your
                current results to disk. But rather than saving to simply 1 file,
                alternately save to 2 files. Using a CRC and a timestamp, you can figure
                out at program startup which is the last valid save. It's incredibly
                unlikely that both files become corrupt.

                -- Barubary