Re: Did you say problem?

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
      Marcel Martin

      > abort a certification from time to time, to
      > save a partial certificate, and restart a new
      > certification with the last R value

      Won't it still be enough to use the usual Windoze
      hack of copying the partial cert from one directory
      to another, from time to time. That used to work fine.
      Or is that now problematic, too?

      David
    • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
        Marcel Martin wrote

        > When that works, that's better than aborting Titanix.
        > Just copy the files
        > (all the ones that have a size equal to 0) elsewhere
        > (their copies will have the correct sizes).
        > But I am not sure that can work with all
        > OS (W95/W98/W2K/NT4/WME?).

        It works fine, for me, with the least objectionable
        of these, i.e. W95. But if folk have been
        forced to downgrade to subsequent versions
        maybe it might fail

        David
      • Andrey Kulsha
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
          Hello!

          When Windows crashes and computer reboots, Scandisk
          automatically deletes all report files because they have
          incorrect size. So we must set "AutoScan=0" option in
          MSDOS.SYS file.

          However, there is much better way to solve this problem.
          Titanix may close report files until the next test will be
          passed, then append the report, write some info and close it
          again, and so on. As I see, this way is implemented in PFGW.

          Best wishes,

          Andrey
        • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
            Andrey Kulsha wrote:
            > So we must set "AutoScan=0" option in
            > MSDOS.SYS file.
            Better yet is "BootGUI=0"
            and then clean up yourself,
            using a sane tool from Norton,
            before abandoning control with
            > Win
          • Andrey Kulsha
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
              Hello!

              David Broadhurst wrote:
              >> So we must set "AutoScan=0" option in
              >> MSDOS.SYS file.
              >Better yet is "BootGUI=0"
              >and then clean up yourself,
              >using a sane tool from Norton,
              >before abandoning control with
              >> Win

              I've just meant a situation when computer reboots without
              our control (e.g., we are sleep, and Windoze has gluked).

              Andrey
            • Andrey Kulsha
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
                Hello!

                Marcel Martin wrote:

                >>However, there is much better way to solve this problem.
                >>Titanix may close report files until the next test will be
                >>passed, then append the report, write some info and close
                it
                >>again, and so on.
                >
                >Are you sure I can ask to all Titanix users to do that with
                the
                >executables that are running on their systems?

                Hmmm... I can't understand the question. What must Titanix
                users to do with the executables?

                AFAIK, the filesize of "0" and copy-error happen when the
                file is opened for write. Titanix (2.1.1 maybe) can close
                report files immediately after writing current test info to
                them, and then append only when the next test will be
                passed.

                So:
                1) we'll be able to make a reserve copy of certificate in
                any time when file is closed (i.e., almost always);
                2) if Windoze suddenly reboot, Scandisk won't delete
                clusters with certificate info, because the .out-file was
                closed and hence had correct size.

                Best wishes,

                Andrey
              • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
                  Andrey Kulsha wrote:
                  > I've just meant a situation when computer reboots without
                  > our control
                  Well my computer would never dare to do that.
                  It knows that I would shoot it:-)
                  I repeat: control freaks should set
                  BootGUI=0
                  David
                • Barubary
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2001
                    Why not take the prime95 approach to this? Every so often, save your
                    current results to disk. But rather than saving to simply 1 file,
                    alternately save to 2 files. Using a CRC and a timestamp, you can figure
                    out at program startup which is the last valid save. It's incredibly
                    unlikely that both files become corrupt.

                    -- Barubary