Primes 17 below a power of ten

  • Nathan Russell
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2003
      If anyone is attempting to prove numbers of the form 10^n-17, please let me
      know.

      Nathan
    • mikeoakes2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2003
        nrussell@... writes:

        > If anyone is attempting to prove numbers of the form 10^n-17, please let me
        > know.

        Nathan: by "prove" you presumably mean "find probable prime", since there are
        only a few thousand values of n that are /provable/ primes with today's best
        technology (PRIMO).

        At the Lifchitz's PRP site
        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hlifchitz/
        you will observe that Milton Brown has made something of a speciality of the
        form 10^n +- k, for smallish k. None of his (hundreds of) entries with n >=
        10000 have k=-17, but he might be able to save you a valuable amount of (PFGW
        or whatever) search time by divulging for which n ranges he has already
        eliminated that value of k.

        Mike Oakes

      • Nathan Russell
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2003
          --On Saturday, May 03, 2003 3:19 AM -0400 mikeoakes2@... wrote:

          > nrussell@... writes:
          >

          >> If anyone is attempting to prove numbers of the form 10^n-17, please let
          >> me know.
          >>

          > Nathan: by "prove" you presumably mean "find probable prime", since there
          > are only a few thousand values of n that are /provable/ primes with
          > today's best technology (PRIMO).

          Yes thank you. I am looking for numbers of "reasonable" size to prove with
          Primo this summer, in order to stay on the top 20 list for the program.
          There are two PRP of that form, and I just wanted to make sure nobody was
          working on them.

          So far we know that 10^n-17 is prime for n=1, 2, 3, 6 (found with PFGW),

          n= 30, 40, 86, 128, 264, 639, and 912 (found with Primo and PFGW)

          1932 will be known later today, and n=4650 and 5038 I am probably going to
          test this summer.

          Thanks for pointing me to Milton's work. I doubt he'll be beating me to
          any finds since when I knew him he had little interest in actually proving
          numbers. ;)

          Nathan