Re: [PrimeNumbers] A Fair Trial

  • Nathan Russell
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2003
      --On Friday, May 02, 2003 10:44 AM -0300 Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
      <decio@...> wrote:

      > Do not try sounding off as innocent here, because we all know you're not.
      > Here are some examples:
      >
      > Your reply to Nathan Russell, who took his time to read your post and
      > reply to it:
      >
      > - ----
      >> The mathematicians on this list will probably reply in more
      >> detail when they wake up.
      >
      > What is that supposed to mean? I'm quite awake, unlike you who
      > haven't even opened your eyes.

      To be fair, he may not have realized that I was saying that as a college
      student I stay up later than most Americans and almost all Europeans on the
      list.

      Nathan
    • Jon Perry
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2003
        'How else do you expect to learn osmosis?'

        Does learning osmosis include letting all knowledge seep out - hence we have
        a paradox, and it is impossible therefore to learn osmosis?

        Jon Perry
        perry@...
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths/
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/DIVMenu/
        BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
        http://www.brainbench.com
      • Jud McCranie
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2003
          At 09:44 AM 5/2/2003, Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho wrote:

          >In retrospect I believe Mr. J. Berg treated you far more softly than you
          >deserve.

          I agree that is responses to Mr. Berg were completely out of line, and I
          wrote to Mr. Berg privately about that.
        • j_m_berg
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2003
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Jud McCranie <judmccr@b...>
            wrote:
            > At 09:44 AM 5/2/2003, Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho wrote:
            >
            > >In retrospect I believe Mr. J. Berg treated you far more softly
            than you
            > >deserve.
            >
            > I agree that is responses to Mr. Berg were completely out of line,
            and I
            > wrote to Mr. Berg privately about that.

            My first reaction to the tone he took, was to lash out in reply. That
            is why I posted my public reply at the time. When he escalated the
            tone even further, I immediately stopped and gave it 24 hours to cool
            off before going further. The next day I realized that a flame war
            was not called for on this board, given what we are attempting to use
            it for. So, I attempted to drop the issue and went on with
            my "dabbling". But at the same time, I decided to limit my public
            posts for awhile.

            Frankly I don't feel like dropping to his level and playing his
            games. Nor do I think anyone else should. If you dislike his
            behavior, simply don't acknowledge that he even exists. If/when
            enough people give someone a cold shoulder, the person usually gives
            up and goes elsewhere. I've found that doing anything else usually
            escalates the problem until it ruins everything.

            Let's focus on numbers and ignore people short on social skills.
            While I'm certain he's a very talented person in his field, I think
            we can all agree that he is still young and still learning how to
            interact with people. And, I think we can also all agree that this is
            not the right place to be trying to "teach" anyone how to behave in
            public.

            Still dabbling,
            Jay Berg