Re: [PrimeNumbers] rough tallies

  • Mark Rodenkirch
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6 11:30 AM
      I regret to inform the members of this group that David Broadhurst
      emailed me to state that he has removed himself from this group. I
      asked him to reconsider as many people like myself respect his
      knowledge and opinions in the field of mathematics, but he responded,
      'I must stay out, since I am not able to separate math from the rest of
      my humanity.'

      I sincerely hope that he does reconsider his decision to leave the
      group.

      --Mark
    • Pavlos S
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 3:11 PM
        I agree with D.B .This of course is not a mailing list
        for mathematicians against the war but we cannot
        pretend that the war does not exist nor should we
        treat it as a TV-show.The fact that people are dying
        due to a foolish reason and no justification(can you
        justify any murder?) is very serious.How can people
        stand indifferent in this? Of course we have seen many
        miracles of the American
        world-policemen:Chile..Cyprus..Grenada..Rwanda..Somalia..Iraq1...Yugoslavia..Afghanistan..and
        now Iraq2.The leaders of the U.S and G.Britain should
        understand that they are not the world's democracy
        enforcers.Although i doubt that U.S goal and motive is
        to remove the cruel dictator S. Hussein because he
        hurts his people.Oil and geopolitical balances in the
        Middle East is the main reason.Take for example Turkey
        or Israel.Can anyone count how manu UN Resolutions
        have both these nations ignored? The Occupation of
        Northern Cyprus is still continuing but the
        "democratic" U.S certainly does not want to disappoint
        its ally Turkey.And the same holds in many many other
        situations all over the world.And you should think
        which country's Media is most censored.The Americans
        that have sattelite Tv's and watched European or
        Arabian networks covering this awful war activities
        and massive murder of innocent people ,could see the
        great difference in the images.Most American citizens
        did not watch the images of children dying in
        hospital,the images of children having cut off their
        legs or hands,the images of the bombardment of the
        "Bagdad mall" where people were bying and selling
        food.The "democratic" Americans cut off water supply
        in Basra with 2 million civilians,in order to make
        their surrender more easy.The "democratic" Americans
        talked about the Geneva Treaty about the images of the
        Americans captivated by Iraqi troops.But they forget
        that the Americans were the first to show such
        images.Isnt that HYPOCRICY? How can you stay
        indifferent in such mass killings and such brutality.I
        always thought that the United States of America was
        the only land in the world that a person could stand
        up totally free,where a person could feel "TOTAL
        FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY".
        I dont believe this any more.I see that U.S is
        gradually changing into a dictatorship.People's right
        are everyday minimized inside the country.And outside
        the country,the US Administration is acting like a
        drunk policeman.It is nice to think that you are the
        Roman Emperor...
        Feeling very very sad.......
        Pavlos

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Mark Rodenkirch
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6 5:25 PM
          On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Pavlos S wrote:

          > I agree with D.B .This of course is not a mailing list
          > for mathematicians against the war but we cannot
          > pretend that the war does not exist nor should we
          > treat it as a TV-show.The fact that people are dying
          > ... (stuff deleted) ....
          > Feeling very very sad.......
          >                                           Pavlos

          Just because some of us don't want to discuss U.S. foreign policy or
          this war on this discussion list does not mean that we are ignoring it.
          It just means that we have other forums by which we discuss those
          off-topic topics. I have some strong and weak opinions myself and I
          would love to discuss those and to hear others, but I don't want to
          argue them here. If someone is willing to start a new group (one that
          is private) on Yahoo for members of primenumbers to discuss the war,
          then I would be more than willing to join and participate. That would
          David and others a forum to state their opinions and it would also give
          other members a choice as to whether or not they want to participate.

          --Mark

        • Paul Leyland
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7 1:05 AM
            > From: Mark Rodenkirch [mailto:mgrogue@...]
            > On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Pavlos S wrote:
            >
            > > I agree with D.B .This of course is not a mailing list

            > Just because some of us don't want to discuss U.S. foreign policy or
            > this war on this discussion list does not mean that we are
            > ignoring it.

            When this topic came up in private email with David, I recommended he read Sura 109 of the Holy Quran. To his credit, he did and responded appropriately.

            I recommend it to the readership in general.

            Obprime: 109 is not only prime, it's the fourth member of a fairly dense constellation of primes.

            Paul