rough tallies

  • David Broadhurst
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6 7:43 AM
      130,000

      British and American troops are in action in Iraq
      from a total force of

      250,000

      in the Gulf. The Allies have launched

      725

      Tomahawk cruise missiles, flown

      18,000

      sorties, dropped

      50

      cluster bombs and discharged

      12,000

      precision-guided munitions. There have been an estimated

      1,252

      Iraqi civilian deaths,

      57

      Kurdish deaths and

      5,103

      civilian injuries.

      88

      Allied troops have been killed in the conflict,

      27

      of whom are British. At least

      12

      Allied soldiers are missing,

      34

      Allied soldiers have been killed in 'friendly fire' incidents
      or battlefield accidents.

      9

      journalists have been killed or are unaccounted for.
      There have been

      2

      suicide attacks on US troops, killing

      7

      soldiers.

      8,023

      Iraqi combatants have been taken prisoner of war. So far,

      0

      weapons of mass destruction have been found.

      1,500,000

      people in southern Iraq have no access to clean water.

      200,000

      children in southern Iraq are at risk of death from diarrhoea.

      17,000,000

      Iraqis are reliant on food aid, which has now been stopped.

      600

      oil wells and refineries are now under British and American control.

      80

      bn dollars has been set aside by US Congress to meet the cost of war.
      A capital city of

      5,000,000

      people now stands between the Allied forces and their

      1

      objective: the removal of Saddam Hussein

      source: http://
      argument.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/story.jsp?story=394172
    • Mark Rodenkirch
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 7:49 AM
        On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 09:43 AM, David Broadhurst wrote:

        > 130,000
        >
        > British and American troops are in action in Iraq
        > from a total force of
        >
        > 250,000
        >
        > in the Gulf. The Allies have launched
        >
        > 725
        >
        > Tomahawk cruise missiles, flown
        >
        > 18,000
        >
        > sorties, dropped
        >
        > 50
        >
        > cluster bombs and discharged
        >
        > 12,000
        >
        > precision-guided munitions. There have been an estimated
        >
        > 1,252
        >
        > Iraqi civilian deaths,
        >
        > 57
        >
        > Kurdish deaths and
        >
        > 5,103
        >
        > civilian injuries.
        >
        > 88
        >
        > Allied troops have been killed in the conflict,
        >
        > 27
        >
        > of whom are British. At least
        >
        > 12
        >
        > Allied soldiers are missing,
        >
        > 34
        >
        > Allied soldiers have been killed in 'friendly fire' incidents
        > or battlefield accidents.
        >
        > 9
        >
        > journalists have been killed or are unaccounted for.
        > There have been
        >
        > 2
        >
        > suicide attacks on US troops, killing
        >
        > 7
        >
        > soldiers.
        >
        > 8,023
        >
        > Iraqi combatants have been taken prisoner of war. So far,
        >
        > 0
        >
        > weapons of mass destruction have been found.
        >
        > 1,500,000
        >
        > people in southern Iraq have no access to clean water.
        >
        > 200,000
        >
        > children in southern Iraq are at risk of death from diarrhoea.
        >
        > 17,000,000
        >
        > Iraqis are reliant on food aid, which has now been stopped.
        >
        > 600
        >
        > oil wells and refineries are now under British and American control.
        >
        > 80
        >
        > bn dollars has been set aside by US Congress to meet the cost of war.
        > A capital city of
        >
        > 5,000,000
        >
        > people now stands between the Allied forces and their
        >
        > 1
        >
        > objective: the removal of Saddam Hussein

        Enough already. I didn't support the U.S. going to war in Iraq (and
        I'm an American), but it is time to end these posts. This group is not
        here to talk about the war in Iraq. If you want to start a new Yahoo
        group for mathematicians against the war, nobody is stopping you. I no
        longer want to read anyone's statements about the war in this group and
        I think that many others who read this group agree with me even if they
        don't publicly state so.

        --Mark

      • Sren Nielsen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6 10:04 AM
          Okay, David don't like the war, I do, and I am not american.
          I think it would be more relevant to talk about some old mesopotanian math if there are such, to show that this is one world, allso after the war.
          Best regards Søren Nielsen
          Mark Rodenkirch <mgrogue@...> wrote:
          On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 09:43 AM, David Broadhurst wrote:

          > 130,000
          >
          > British and American troops are in action in Iraq
          > from a total force of
          >
          > 250,000
          >
          > in the Gulf. The Allies have launched
          >
          > 725
          >
          > Tomahawk cruise missiles, flown
          >
          > 18,000
          >
          > sorties, dropped
          >
          > 50
          >
          > cluster bombs and discharged
          >
          > 12,000
          >
          > precision-guided munitions. There have been an estimated
          >
          > 1,252
          >
          > Iraqi civilian deaths,
          >
          > 57
          >
          > Kurdish deaths and
          >
          > 5,103
          >
          > civilian injuries.
          >
          > 88
          >
          > Allied troops have been killed in the conflict,
          >
          > 27
          >
          > of whom are British. At least
          >
          > 12
          >
          > Allied soldiers are missing,
          >
          > 34
          >
          > Allied soldiers have been killed in 'friendly fire' incidents
          > or battlefield accidents.
          >
          > 9
          >
          > journalists have been killed or are unaccounted for.
          > There have been
          >
          > 2
          >
          > suicide attacks on US troops, killing
          >
          > 7
          >
          > soldiers.
          >
          > 8,023
          >
          > Iraqi combatants have been taken prisoner of war. So far,
          >
          > 0
          >
          > weapons of mass destruction have been found.
          >
          > 1,500,000
          >
          > people in southern Iraq have no access to clean water.
          >
          > 200,000
          >
          > children in southern Iraq are at risk of death from diarrhoea.
          >
          > 17,000,000
          >
          > Iraqis are reliant on food aid, which has now been stopped.
          >
          > 600
          >
          > oil wells and refineries are now under British and American control.
          >
          > 80
          >
          > bn dollars has been set aside by US Congress to meet the cost of war.
          > A capital city of
          >
          > 5,000,000
          >
          > people now stands between the Allied forces and their
          >
          > 1
          >
          > objective: the removal of Saddam Hussein

          Enough already. I didn't support the U.S. going to war in Iraq (and
          I'm an American), but it is time to end these posts. This group is not
          here to talk about the war in Iraq. If you want to start a new Yahoo
          group for mathematicians against the war, nobody is stopping you. I no
          longer want to read anyone's statements about the war in this group and
          I think that many others who read this group agree with me even if they
          don't publicly state so.

          --Mark

          http://groups.msn.com/primedigitblues/welcome.msnw
          Har du problemer med din hjemmecomputer? Få hjælp med Yahoo!s PC-support

        • Andrey Kulsha
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 10:09 AM
            There are projects concerning primes:

            http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.gallot/primes/status.html
            http://xyyxf.at.tut.by/status.html

            Andrey

          • Mark Rodenkirch
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6 11:30 AM
              I regret to inform the members of this group that David Broadhurst
              emailed me to state that he has removed himself from this group. I
              asked him to reconsider as many people like myself respect his
              knowledge and opinions in the field of mathematics, but he responded,
              'I must stay out, since I am not able to separate math from the rest of
              my humanity.'

              I sincerely hope that he does reconsider his decision to leave the
              group.

              --Mark
            • Pavlos S
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6 3:11 PM
                I agree with D.B .This of course is not a mailing list
                for mathematicians against the war but we cannot
                pretend that the war does not exist nor should we
                treat it as a TV-show.The fact that people are dying
                due to a foolish reason and no justification(can you
                justify any murder?) is very serious.How can people
                stand indifferent in this? Of course we have seen many
                miracles of the American
                world-policemen:Chile..Cyprus..Grenada..Rwanda..Somalia..Iraq1...Yugoslavia..Afghanistan..and
                now Iraq2.The leaders of the U.S and G.Britain should
                understand that they are not the world's democracy
                enforcers.Although i doubt that U.S goal and motive is
                to remove the cruel dictator S. Hussein because he
                hurts his people.Oil and geopolitical balances in the
                Middle East is the main reason.Take for example Turkey
                or Israel.Can anyone count how manu UN Resolutions
                have both these nations ignored? The Occupation of
                Northern Cyprus is still continuing but the
                "democratic" U.S certainly does not want to disappoint
                its ally Turkey.And the same holds in many many other
                situations all over the world.And you should think
                which country's Media is most censored.The Americans
                that have sattelite Tv's and watched European or
                Arabian networks covering this awful war activities
                and massive murder of innocent people ,could see the
                great difference in the images.Most American citizens
                did not watch the images of children dying in
                hospital,the images of children having cut off their
                legs or hands,the images of the bombardment of the
                "Bagdad mall" where people were bying and selling
                food.The "democratic" Americans cut off water supply
                in Basra with 2 million civilians,in order to make
                their surrender more easy.The "democratic" Americans
                talked about the Geneva Treaty about the images of the
                Americans captivated by Iraqi troops.But they forget
                that the Americans were the first to show such
                images.Isnt that HYPOCRICY? How can you stay
                indifferent in such mass killings and such brutality.I
                always thought that the United States of America was
                the only land in the world that a person could stand
                up totally free,where a person could feel "TOTAL
                FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY".
                I dont believe this any more.I see that U.S is
                gradually changing into a dictatorship.People's right
                are everyday minimized inside the country.And outside
                the country,the US Administration is acting like a
                drunk policeman.It is nice to think that you are the
                Roman Emperor...
                Feeling very very sad.......
                Pavlos

                http://tax.yahoo.com
              • Mark Rodenkirch
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6 5:25 PM
                  On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Pavlos S wrote:

                  > I agree with D.B .This of course is not a mailing list
                  > for mathematicians against the war but we cannot
                  > pretend that the war does not exist nor should we
                  > treat it as a TV-show.The fact that people are dying
                  > ... (stuff deleted) ....
                  > Feeling very very sad.......
                  >                                           Pavlos

                  Just because some of us don't want to discuss U.S. foreign policy or
                  this war on this discussion list does not mean that we are ignoring it.
                  It just means that we have other forums by which we discuss those
                  off-topic topics. I have some strong and weak opinions myself and I
                  would love to discuss those and to hear others, but I don't want to
                  argue them here. If someone is willing to start a new group (one that
                  is private) on Yahoo for members of primenumbers to discuss the war,
                  then I would be more than willing to join and participate. That would
                  David and others a forum to state their opinions and it would also give
                  other members a choice as to whether or not they want to participate.

                  --Mark

                • Paul Leyland
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7 1:05 AM
                    > From: Mark Rodenkirch [mailto:mgrogue@...]
                    > On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Pavlos S wrote:
                    >
                    > > I agree with D.B .This of course is not a mailing list

                    > Just because some of us don't want to discuss U.S. foreign policy or
                    > this war on this discussion list does not mean that we are
                    > ignoring it.

                    When this topic came up in private email with David, I recommended he read Sura 109 of the Holy Quran. To his credit, he did and responded appropriately.

                    I recommend it to the readership in general.

                    Obprime: 109 is not only prime, it's the fourth member of a fairly dense constellation of primes.

                    Paul