RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: 20/03/2003

  • Hadley, Thomas H (Tom), ALABS
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 20, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: David Broadhurst [mailto:d.broadhurst@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 5:19 AM
      To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Re: 20/03/2003

      > I never understood why the rulers of U.S
      > and G.Britain are so thirsty for blood

      Arrogance and vanity, respectively?

      Thus far a british, an australian,
      and a galician member have broken
      etiquette by indicating their
      feelings on this list.

      Is there no american member who
      shares our sense of shame?

      David
      --------- End Original Message -------
      No, David, I don't think it's arrogance and vanity.
      I think that the underlying reason can be summed
      up in one word, fear. The American culture, fueled
      in large part by the media, is fear-based. Every day
      we are bombarded with subtle and not-so-subtle warnings.
      Our newscasts are always about bad things and how they
      could happen to you. Just the other day our newspaper,
      in the "FYI" section, had a story about "Dangers in the
      Home", for example. I could go on and on.

      The documentary movie "Bowling for Columbine" presents an
      excellent look at this phenomenon.

      The fear of weapons of mass destruction is what has
      fueled this action.

      I feel a great sadness for my country. I do think we
      are a "good" people, with what in literature would be
      called a "tragic flaw".

      Tom Hadley,
      Kansas City
    • David Broadhurst
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2003
        Thanks, Tom, that perception helped me, a bit.

        I received several other replies from american
        members, off-list, some of which explained
        reasons for not wanting to express liberal
        opinions on-list. [But why on earth they didn't
        post them here is still beyond my ken.
        Does american fear and conformism really reach
        to the obscure depths of a math list?
        And please don't say that you wanted to
        stay on primenumbers topics, because I don't
        believe that, from the evidence of my private mail.]

        On a brighter note, I just got back from a revivifying
        10-hour stint in Parliament Square.

        There was lots going on that need not
        be recounted here. But the marginally
        relevant anecdote that might interest