Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Idle vs. normal priority

  • Nathan Russell
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2001
      On Mon, 28 May 2001 20:43:46 +0100, Michael Bell wrote:

      >Hi,
      >
      >> APSieve's default
      >> priority is "Idle", taking about 2% of the cycles; but if you set its
      >> priority to "High" it still takes only 2% of the cycles!?
      >>

      >This is because the thread APSieve runs in is also set to Idle priority,
      >unfortunately you can't change this with TaskInfo. It was trying a little
      >too hard not to take any cycles away from any other processes.

      You can, however, set the thread priority by using ATM (Another Task
      Manager). I wish I could remember the website for the program, but it
      can be found quite easily by searching the web, and is freeware.
      Note, however, that while running, ATM itself by default runs a "CPU
      cooler" that runs at thread priority 1 (idle thread priority); I
      believe this can be disabled by command-line options, or it is
      possible to simply uncheck the 'CPU Cooler' checkbox under the
      'Options' tab when using the program. Personally, I find ATM
      extremely useful when running multiple projects at once under Windows
      (for example, when the machine is finishing a range unattended).

      Nathan