Re: A Friendly Challenge...

  • Ken Davis <kraden@yahoo.com.au>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
      Hi Mark,
      I certainly hope to find a 100,000+ digit mf some time this year.
      If I do it will be of the form n!2-1. (but I've got to find it and
      they are few and far between). I will have finished to 50000 (106620)
      by the end of march.
      I then plan to proceed to 100,000. This will involve initially
      testing around 2000 "most likely" (based on some extremely suspect
      maths I have been playing with) candidates followed by the use of
      your multisieve to trim down the remaining 48000 candidates to less
      than 10,000 which I will then test. (this should take about a year).
      I won't be up to the 100,000 digit range for n!11-1 (224000) until the
      end of this year.
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "mgrogue <mgrogue@w...>"
      <mgrogue@w...> wrote:
      > After looking at the known primes over 100,000 decimal digits, I
      > noticed that most are Mersennes, Generalized Fermats, or Proths.
      > There are a few of other forms as well, but at this time none of
      those
      > 100,000+ digit primes are Generalized Woodalls or MultiFactorials.
      > fully expect that 2003 will be the year that at least one 100,000+
      > digit prime of each of these forms will be found.
      >
      > My challenge to the prime searchers reading this is to have a race
      > discover the first 100,000+ digit Generalized Woodall and a separate
      > race to discover the first 100,000+ digit MultiFactorial.
      >
      > I'll join in the race for the first 100,000+ GW. I assume that Ken
      > Davis and Steven Harvey will complete (if they aren't already
      > competing) for the first 100,000+ MF. Is anyone else game?
      >
      > --Mark
    • Harvey, Steven
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
        I hope to find either a Generalized Woodall or Multifactorial prime with
        100000+ digits by the end of the year. Probaby a n!2+1 if a multifactorial.
        Ken Davis seems to be moving faster than I.

        Steven Harvey