P+1-alike bias found. Nothing exciting :-(

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003
      The mystery is alas not deep, but has two tawdry components:

      Firstly, the numbers which split on the imaginary coordinate and had a gcd
      of 1 from the real coordinate all had a power of 2 one higher than the B1
      limit would crack. Looking at the imaginary part basically just gives you
      an extra power of two for free.

      Secondly the numbers which split on the imaginary coordinate and had a gcd
      of N from the real coordinate were exact squares.

      There are both real benefits, but alas they are both insignificant benefits
      in the long run. There seems to be little point in using the less useful
      one, though!

      I shall now try to golf my gp script down to as few characters as possible!
      (I've added a B2 stage and it's bloated to 5 lines!)

      Phil

      =====
      Is that free as in Willy or as in bird?

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com