Re: web pages

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2001
      Joe McLean wrote:

      > Please feel free to comment

      This first comment must surely be that

      http://www.glasgowg43.freeserve.co.uk/primefaq.htm

      is a wonderful asset. Thanks for all that work, Joe.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2001
        On Tue, 08 May 2001, d.broadhurst@... wrote:
        > Joe McLean wrote:
        >
        > > Please feel free to comment
        >
        > This first comment must surely be that
        >
        > http://www.glasgowg43.freeserve.co.uk/primefaq.htm
        >
        > is a wonderful asset. Thanks for all that work, Joe.

        Indeed. There is lots of stuff there, but in managable chunks too.

        However, for those who aren't "blessed" with a standards-flaunting browser, I've been doing some head-scratching and have worked out the following translations of the unusual characters you may see in the documents:

        (i.e. M$ Word hasn't got a _clue_ how to generate compliant HTML, and unless you view the pages in something equally broken you may get some weird symbols)

        Symbol on page (and description) and M$'s HTML
        Intended symbol and correct HTML

        ? (Question mark) ?
        ... (ellipsis) …

        � (plus/minus) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
        plus/minus ±

        � (superscript 1) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
        not equals ≠

        � (sterling) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
        less than or equal to ≤

        � (superscript 3) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
        greater than or equal to ≥

        � (no idea!) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
        is congruent to ≡ (not ≅)

        � (O umlaut) <FONT FACE="Symbol">Ö</FONT>
        square root √

        � (Regd. Trademark) <FONT FACE="Symbol">&Reg;</FONT>
        '->' →

        � (I circumflex) <FONT FACE="Symbol">Î</FONT>
        is an element of ∈

        � (C Cedilla) <FONT FACE="Symbol">Ç</FONT>
        intersection ∩

        � (Yen?) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
        I have no idea...

        The last one is in the context
        "
        Lemma 7.2. Let p be a prime and E_p an elliptic curve over GF(p). Let q be a prime such that q > p^(1/2) + 2p^(1/4) + 1. If there exists m � E_p / I� such that qm = I� then p is prime.
        "

        I checked the above on several different browsers in several different operating systems on several different platforms in both text and graphics screen modes, and every combination apart from {Lynx|w3m}/Linux/Alpha/text-mode agree (that combo can't display the raw 8-bit +/- character in the document).

        For those forced to use M$ products to write HTML and wish to create compliant HTML, there is a cure (apart from the obvious one) :

        http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

        "
        This page describes, in Unix manual page style, a Perl
        program available for downloading from this site which
        corrects numerous errors and incompatibilities in HTML
        generated by, or edited with, Microsoft applications.
        The demoroniser keeps you from looking dumber than a
        bag of dirt when your Web page is viewed by a user on a
        non-Microsoft platform.

        NAME

        demoroniser - correct moronic and gratuitously incompatible
        HTML generated by Microsoft applications
        "

        The problem is quite a well known one, it's even recently reached comp.risks:
        http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.29.html
        "
        Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:38:03 +0000
        From: Kevin Rolph <kevin@...>
        Subject: MS Word: Ohm, SaveAs Watt
        "

        I'd be interested in knowing about other symbols that are messed up (for example the last one I list), so I can create a fuller list, which I can pin next to my monitor for quick translation.

        Cheers,

        http://www.shopping.altavista.com
      • Christ van Willegen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2001
          Totally offtopic, ofcourse, but:
          > º (no idea!) <FONT FACE="Symbol">º</FONT>
          > is congruent to ≡ (not ≅)
          This symbol is used in Spanish counting, where 'number' has two forms,
          namely the male and female forms. You'd say 'Senor numero 1' and 'Senora
          numera 1'. The superscript o with the dash underneath is the short
          form of this, so you have No and Na (the superscript underlined a is also
          in the IBM-PC character set. Lemme see: It's character 166, but I can't
          type it into Pine.

          Back to the regular show now, boys and girls...

          Christ van Willegen