web pages

  • joe.mclean@it.glasgow.gov.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2001
      Hello all.

      I have put up some new pages to my website which may be of general
      interest. I've called it, rather presumptuously, "All you want to know
      about primes", and I hope that it contains everything in the
      mainstream of primes and background theory. It's not exactly an FAQ,
      but will answer a lot of basic questions for those new to the ideas,
      especially new and inexperienced subscribers to this mailing list. I
      have deliberately avoided going into theory that would take up too
      much space to develop, since attention spans tend to fade rapidly.
      Also, in order to appear as accessible as possible, I have had to
      avoid going into detail where the maths gets too difficult.

      I would mention that it attempts to contain most of the current prime
      records, with references to websites and software where appropriate,
      so that it is not set in stone. As well as keeping it up-to-date, I
      would hope to improve areas that are perhaps badly worded or laid out,
      and perhaps include additional items if they fit the overall aim.

      Please feel free to comment.

      The introductory page is www.glasgowg43.freeserve.co.uk/primefaq.htm

      Joe McLean.

      Disclaimer:
      This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
      was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this message.
      Glasgow City Council cannot accept responsibility for viruses, so please
      scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect
      those of the Council who will not necessarily be bound by its contents.

    • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2001
        Joe McLean wrote:

        > Please feel free to comment

        This first comment must surely be that

        http://www.glasgowg43.freeserve.co.uk/primefaq.htm

        is a wonderful asset. Thanks for all that work, Joe.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2001
          On Tue, 08 May 2001, d.broadhurst@... wrote:
          > Joe McLean wrote:
          >
          > > Please feel free to comment
          >
          > This first comment must surely be that
          >
          > http://www.glasgowg43.freeserve.co.uk/primefaq.htm
          >
          > is a wonderful asset. Thanks for all that work, Joe.

          Indeed. There is lots of stuff there, but in managable chunks too.

          However, for those who aren't "blessed" with a standards-flaunting browser, I've been doing some head-scratching and have worked out the following translations of the unusual characters you may see in the documents:

          (i.e. M$ Word hasn't got a _clue_ how to generate compliant HTML, and unless you view the pages in something equally broken you may get some weird symbols)

          Symbol on page (and description) and M$'s HTML
          Intended symbol and correct HTML

          ? (Question mark) ?
          ... (ellipsis) …

          � (plus/minus) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
          plus/minus ±

          � (superscript 1) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
          not equals ≠

          � (sterling) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
          less than or equal to ≤

          � (superscript 3) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
          greater than or equal to ≥

          � (no idea!) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
          is congruent to ≡ (not ≅)

          � (O umlaut) <FONT FACE="Symbol">Ö</FONT>
          square root √

          � (Regd. Trademark) <FONT FACE="Symbol">&Reg;</FONT>
          '->' →

          � (I circumflex) <FONT FACE="Symbol">Î</FONT>
          is an element of ∈

          � (C Cedilla) <FONT FACE="Symbol">Ç</FONT>
          intersection ∩

          � (Yen?) <FONT FACE="Symbol">�</FONT>
          I have no idea...

          The last one is in the context
          "
          Lemma 7.2. Let p be a prime and E_p an elliptic curve over GF(p). Let q be a prime such that q > p^(1/2) + 2p^(1/4) + 1. If there exists m � E_p / I� such that qm = I� then p is prime.
          "

          I checked the above on several different browsers in several different operating systems on several different platforms in both text and graphics screen modes, and every combination apart from {Lynx|w3m}/Linux/Alpha/text-mode agree (that combo can't display the raw 8-bit +/- character in the document).

          For those forced to use M$ products to write HTML and wish to create compliant HTML, there is a cure (apart from the obvious one) :

          http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

          "
          This page describes, in Unix manual page style, a Perl
          program available for downloading from this site which
          corrects numerous errors and incompatibilities in HTML
          generated by, or edited with, Microsoft applications.
          The demoroniser keeps you from looking dumber than a
          bag of dirt when your Web page is viewed by a user on a
          non-Microsoft platform.

          NAME

          demoroniser - correct moronic and gratuitously incompatible
          HTML generated by Microsoft applications
          "

          The problem is quite a well known one, it's even recently reached comp.risks:
          http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.29.html
          "
          Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:38:03 +0000
          From: Kevin Rolph <kevin@...>
          Subject: MS Word: Ohm, SaveAs Watt
          "

          I'd be interested in knowing about other symbols that are messed up (for example the last one I list), so I can create a fuller list, which I can pin next to my monitor for quick translation.

          Cheers,

          http://www.shopping.altavista.com
        • Christ van Willegen
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2001
            Totally offtopic, ofcourse, but:
            > º (no idea!) <FONT FACE="Symbol">º</FONT>
            > is congruent to ≡ (not ≅)
            This symbol is used in Spanish counting, where 'number' has two forms,
            namely the male and female forms. You'd say 'Senor numero 1' and 'Senora
            numera 1'. The superscript o with the dash underneath is the short
            form of this, so you have No and Na (the superscript underlined a is also
            in the IBM-PC character set. Lemme see: It's character 166, but I can't
            type it into Pine.

            Back to the regular show now, boys and girls...

            Christ van Willegen