Re: PRP Top 50 has become PRP Top 100

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2001
      Mike Oakes wrote:

      > There is a natural cutoff set by the
      > ability of programs like Titanix to prove primality

      Don't forget VFYPR. For cases where N^2-1 has good --
      but not yet BLS -- factorization, VFYPR is more powerful.

      Bouk and I and are mounting an attack on the APRCL record,
      at 5k+ digits, after 20 days CPUtime spent on ECM,
      getting 72 digits short of 3*F1+F2=1. We have good actuarial
      reasons for believing that VFYPR will complete
      before ECM is likely to cough up another p35.

      It would be useful, for cyclotomic PrPs,
      like U, V, (2^n+1)/3, repunits, etc,
      if folk posted some percentages (as I did) in

      http://
      ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hlifchitz/Henri/fr-us/PrpRec.htm
      [too long for one yahoo line, sorry]

      David
    • Michael Bell
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2001

        > Don't forget VFYPR. For cases where N^2-1 has good --
        > but not yet BLS -- factorization, VFYPR is more powerful.
        >
        > Bouk and I and are mounting an attack on the APRCL record,
        > at 5k+ digits, after 20 days CPUtime spent on ECM,
        > getting 72 digits short of 3*F1+F2=1. We have good actuarial
        > reasons for believing that VFYPR will complete
        > before ECM is likely to cough up another p35.
        >
        > It would be useful, for cyclotomic PrPs,
        > like U, V, (2^n+1)/3, repunits, etc,
        > if folk posted some percentages (as I did) in

        Hi,

        I think it would be useful if there was a list of PRP's with over 15 or 20%
        of either N-1 or N+1 factored (or maybe 3*F1+F2>=.6 or so). This would then
        make a list of primes that it may actually be practical to prove in the not
        to distant future.

        Any volunteers for hosting a page?

        Michael.
      • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2001
          Michael Bell wrote:

          > I think it would be useful if there was a list of PRP's
          > with over 15 or 20% of either N-1 or N+1 factored
          > (or maybe 3*F1+F2>=.6 or so). This would then
          > make a list of primes that it may actually be practical
          > to prove in the not to distant future.
          > Any volunteers for hosting a page?

          Well Andy Steward has *oodles* of such animals...

          David
        • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2001
            PS: My personal gigantic bete noire is Phi(2521,9926),
            with 10072 digits, and N-1 347 digits short of BLS.
            As Gollum said, we hates it.... David
          • Mohale's Hoek TRC
            Message 5 of 9 , May 18, 2001
              Guys,

              Primeform gives the following as PRP

              6*k*(2^n - 1 - k ) + 2^n - 1, with n = 4497, k = 8939.
              digit number = 13400.

              A beginner in this business, I would like confirmation of this result from
              someone.

              Thank you.

              Peter Lesala.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 18, 2001
                mohales@... writes:

                > Primeform gives the following as PRP
                > 6*k*(2^n - 1 - k ) + 2^n - 1, with n = 4497, k = 8939.
                > digit number = 13400.
                > A beginner in this business, I would like confirmation of this result from
                > someone.
                > Thank you.
                > Peter Lesala.

                Hi Peter,
                Something must be wrong with your expression as (if we do the substitutions
                for n and k) PFGW says:-
                6*8939*(2^4497-1-8939)+2^4497-1 has factors: 7
                Want to double-check it?
                Mike Oakes
              • Mohale's Hoek TRC
                Message 7 of 9 , May 20, 2001
                  Hi Mike,

                  There is an error in the value of n = 4497, the value should be n = 44497.

                  Thanks for the quick response.

                  Peter.