ubasic with Windows ME or Windows 2000

  • James Buddenhagen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2001
      Sorry a bit off topic. But I use ubasic a lot with number theory stuff
      including primes. I'm about to buy a new PC. Now-a-days that means
      (for me anyway) Windows ME or Windows 2000. I've heard there is no more
      DOS prompt and no DOS windows. Is that correct? Will I no longer be
      able to use ubasic? Thanks for any info -- I'm thinking folks here know
      the answer.

      --Jim Buddenhagen
    • Jud McCranie
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2001
        At 02:17 PM 5/5/2001 -0500, James Buddenhagen wrote:
        >Sorry a bit off topic. But I use ubasic a lot with number theory stuff
        >including primes. I'm about to buy a new PC. Now-a-days that means
        >(for me anyway) Windows ME or Windows 2000. I've heard there is no more
        >DOS prompt and no DOS windows. Is that correct? Will I no longer be
        >able to use ubasic? Thanks for any info -- I'm thinking folks here know
        >the answer.

        WinME has a DOS window with prompt, and UBASIC works with it. Win2000 has
        a DOS window, and I assume UBASIC will work with it. Windows XP is coming
        out in a few months, but I don't know about the details in it.

        +------------------------------------+
        | Jud McCranie |
        | |
        | former temporary part-time adjunct |
        | instructor of a minor university |
        +------------------------------------+
      • Paul Leyland
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2001
          > From: Jud McCranie [mailto:jud.mccranie@...]
          > At 02:17 PM 5/5/2001 -0500, James Buddenhagen wrote:
          > >Sorry a bit off topic. But I use ubasic a lot with number
          > theory stuff
          > >including primes. I'm about to buy a new PC. Now-a-days that means
          > >(for me anyway) Windows ME or Windows 2000. I've heard there is no
          > >more DOS prompt and no DOS windows. Is that correct? Will I
          > no longer
          > >be able to use ubasic? Thanks for any info -- I'm thinking
          > folks here
          > >know the answer.
          >
          > WinME has a DOS window with prompt, and UBASIC works with it.
          > Win2000 has
          > a DOS window, and I assume UBASIC will work with it. Windows

          You assume correctly. Works just fine on W2K Professional and Advanced
          Server. It also works nicely with Terminal Services.

          > XP is coming
          > out in a few months, but I don't know about the details in it.

          Ooh, I couldn't possible say what I know if, indeed, I know anything.
          8-)

          Paul