Re: [PrimeNumbers] Twins born free

  • David Underbakke
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2001
      At 03:39 PM 5/2/01 -0000, David Broadhurst wrote:
      >Congratulations to Giovanni La Barbera
      >for delivering the biggest pair of
      >twin primes that were freely conceived,
      >i.e. not the product of a marriage of
      >convenience between speed and rigour.

      >Such a doubling requires about 64 times the processing,
      >whereas doubling the BLS twin record requires only a
      >16-fold increase. In a few years, when the BLS-constrained
      >Minnesota giants appear rather puny, these free Italian
      >twins will still stand comparison with their successors.
      >
      >David

      I would like to second the congratulations. I agree that this record
      should stand comparison much longer than the current BLS records.

      As a trivia note, it was Giovanni La Barbera who taught me the importance
      of speed, rigour, and patience. After finishing a long project to better
      the fine twin work of Indlekofer, Jarai, Wassing;
      Giovanni La Barbera submitted a larger twin set less than 24 hours later.
      The consolation prize was a record that will probably never be broken...

      The shortest time as a largest twin prime.

      ___________

      David Underbakke
    • Giovanni La Barbera
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2001
        --- In primenumbers@y..., David Underbakke <david@u...> wrote:
        > At 03:39 PM 5/2/01 -0000, David Broadhurst wrote:
        > >Congratulations to Giovanni La Barbera
        > >for delivering the biggest pair of
        > >twin primes that were freely conceived,
        > >i.e. not the product of a marriage of
        > >convenience between speed and rigour.
        >
        > >Such a doubling requires about 64 times the processing,
        > >whereas doubling the BLS twin record requires only a
        > >16-fold increase. In a few years, when the BLS-constrained
        > >Minnesota giants appear rather puny, these free Italian
        > >twins will still stand comparison with their successors.
        > >
        > >David
        > >

        > I would like to second the congratulations. I agree that this
        record
        > should stand comparison much longer than the current BLS records.

        > David Underbakke

        Thanks for your congratulations.

        Finding and proving were made easier by weighty improvements of the
        programs used.

        a) Sieving, finding and PRP proving required 6 days to APSIEVE and
        PFGW

        b)The smaller prime test required about 150h to Titanix 2.0. x < 2.0.5

        c)The bigger one required 127h 40m to Titanix 2.0.5 without any break
        on a 450MHZ PENTIUM.
        The certification process is fully automated. No backtracking needs.

        As you can see, this record is not too expensive ...

        Giovanni and Marco La Barbera
      • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2001
          Giovanni La Barbera wrote:

          > The bigger one required 127h 40m to Titanix 2.0.5
          > without any break on a 450MHZ PENTIUM.
          > The certification process is fully automated.
          > No backtracking needs.
          > As you can see, this record is not too expensive ...

          Giovanni, like Bouk de Water, attests to Marcel Martin's
          amazing progress in automating the speedy proofs
          of arbitrary 2000-digit primes.

          I was recently chatting to Harvey Dubner,
          who marvels, as I do, that 2k digits, freeform,
          is now only a few days, and may require
          no user intervention. That is part of the
          explanation of how Bouk and I can upgrade
          the Dubner/Keller Fibonacci/Lucas records:
          when smart factorization produces a p2005,
          Bouk says: "no problem David, Titanix will
          prove that PrP factor real soon".

          Giovanni and Marco became legendary for test
          driving the Titanx-1 Ferrari. Now Marcel gives
          us, in Titanix-2, a family Fiat that goes appreciably
          faster than that original grand-prix Ferrari.